The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 630 M band now open  (Read 2896 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »

Heard several hams on CW on the new 630 meter longwave band tonight including eHam's own Bunky, K4EJQ in eastern Tennessee who was 569 here in Saint Louis. NO3M was 579. Barely heard W1ZMS.  These were real 2X qsos, not beacons. There were plenty of digital signals on the band. Take a listen around 475 KHz.

Note that special authorization is required to transmit.

Also: http://njdtechnologies.net/101617/
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:11:35 AM »

There's an amazing amount of WSPR activity on 474.20 KHz. Some real DX being reported.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »

WSPR activity was good even with the eXperimental licenses, it's even better now with increased activity. I'm copying stations on CW now as well.
I can't wait to build my Tx antenna, base load coil w/Variometer. 2 of the stations I copied last night could have Rx'ed them if they were on SSB. I'll start w/ 100 watts (TOL) which will probably be 3/4 of a watt EIRP. Eventually I want to build a 500 watt linear mode amplifier. I realize a Class D amp is all that's needed for JT9/ FT8 or CW. I still want the ability to test SSB with a few other local stations that are getting on with me. I'm currently using a small loop antenna for RX, next to try an E probe antenna/ LNA.
I only plan on operating the 630 meter band, I'm on a small 1/4 acre lot not the best but my QTH could be worse.
At least all utilities are buried in my community keeping my noise to a minimum.
73, Bill AA2UK
UTC approval for both band's operations approved 10/18/2017.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »

I've only heard one sideband station on 630 meters, an experimental station a year or two ago. I've never heard any signals on 2200 possibly due to my isolated midwest location.

The opening last week of the longwave bands spurred me to download WSJT-X, mainly for WSPR. Two nights ago I received about 8 stations including a couple near the east coast, plus ZF1EJ in the Caymens. Storms made copy last night impossible. It's extraordinary that some QRPp WSPR signals are making it across the Atlantic and the Pacific.

Wouldn't it be appropriate if K1JT added a spark mode to WSJT-X for longwave!

I've also downloaded the newest version of Fldigi and got it paired to my Flex-5000. After hours of interface-hell I can now listen to longwave on bazillions of digital modes. As for transmitting, the QTH is a quiet acre with some 70 foot trees. I'm giving it some thought.   

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »

Wowser, 4066 miles on 474.2 KHz!

Left WSPR run all night last night and was dumbfounded to find three receptions of K9FD/KH6 in Hawaii around 0900z. He was superweak of course, between -26 db and -33 db. I didn't know WSPR could print a signal at -33dB! K9FD/KH6 runs one watt from an exceptionally fine location, a former AM broadcast site abutting the Pacific. 

Receiver: Flex-5000 with Palomar longwave converter. My longwave antenna: a DX Engineering 43' vertical!
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »

Wowser, 4066 miles on 474.2 KHz!

Left WSPR run all night last night and was dumbfounded to find three receptions of K9FD/KH6 in Hawaii around 0900z. He was superweak of course, between -26 db and -33 db. I didn't know WSPR could print a signal at -33dB! K9FD/KH6 runs one watt from an exceptionally fine location, a former AM broadcast site abutting the Pacific. 

Receiver: Flex-5000 with Palomar longwave converter. My longwave antenna: a DX Engineering 43' vertical!

Impressive. Looking forward to playing on 630 meters some day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: