The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Z mic to Hi-Z rig?  (Read 2263 times)
KE2KB

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

Hi;
I have an old HW-101 I am trying to get on the air with, but don't have a mic for the rig yet.
Before I go on Ebay and buy an Astatic D-104, I'm thinking I could "patch" a Radio Shack Omni Hiball, which I believe has a Z of 2,000 ohms to the rig?
I have a preamp I was thinking of using to boost the signal level from the low z mic to the high z input to the HW-101. I believe standard line-out Z is 10K ohms, so perhaps that would be a close enough match to the HW-101's input. I could then adjust the preamp to the proper level while monitoring my signal on my SDR receiver (with the HW-101 running into a dummy-load).

Could this work?

Thanks
Frank [KE2KB]
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »

The actual impedance match is not important provided that the mike (or preamp) provides enough output voltage. Typically a low impedance mike won't produce enough voltage to drive a high impedance input, but one with a preamp probably will.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »

Thanks. I guess I'll wire it up directly to the lugs of the mic connector on the HW-101 since I don't have the 2-pin connector to mate with the rig's.
I ordered a foot pedal switch to use as the PTT. I like that concept, even if I do wind up buying the D-104 with its PTT bar.
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:05 AM »

:)Astatic amplified hand microphone, Turner +2 or 3 will match this rig very well..

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:15:24 AM »

The impedance of the HighBall can be changed internally.
Google it.
It's a great mic ..... you might not replace it.

Matt
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »

The impedance of the HighBall can be changed internally.
Google it.
It's a great mic ..... you might not replace it.

Matt
Thanks. I'll check it out.
I did connect the mic through the preamp to the rig yesterday. There was a problem on the 7Mhz band. Using my SDrPlay to monitor my audio (the HW-101 was connected to a dummy load, and the SDRPlay was on the 40m antenna). I could hear my audio for a couple seconds, then it would cut out, while the transmitter remained keyed.
When I switched to 3.5Mhz band, the audio did not cut out, but there was a lot of hum on it. The preamp is an old model (I'm not even sure what make it is), powered off the mains.
So, at this point, I'm not sure the HW-101 is going to work on 40m. I may still have a lot of work to do on it.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:36 AM »

When I was using the HW-101, I used a Tuner 222 and a D104 (both amplified and non-Amplified.)

I started with the 222 because I couldn't get a D104 at the time.

They all worked fine.
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

When I was using the HW-101, I used a Tuner 222 and a D104 (both amplified and non-Amplified.)

I started with the 222 because I couldn't get a D104 at the time.

They all worked fine.
I also used a Turner (think it was the +2 or +3) with the rig, and worked very well. Eventually, I sold the mic because I didn't really think I was going to get back on HF before I bought a new rig. I guess it was a mistake, as I now have the HW-101 (sort of) working, but with no mic. I am hesitant to spend any money on the rig though, as it does seem to have issues - especially on 7Mhz band, which is my primary band right now.
So either I will buy a newer rig (used or new), or I'll go for the D-104 on Ebay and see what the 101 can do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: