The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shack Desk Lamp ?  (Read 4764 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »

Sri if this has been beat to death already. I have gone thru several   “ goose neck” desk lamps whose single point of failure seems to be how it mounts to the desk edge. Plus the aggravation of-not staying In the position I want it to  . So I would like to get a new desk lamp that is a long term fix but not a big source of RFI. One that u can focus and re-focus the light as needed. So would love to hear what some others have found that works for them.

Paul
Kc2nyu
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »

I have my radio setup, downstairs in the basement.  I use 2-fluorescent lights, mounted (about 50-inches high from my desk) stationary on the cellar-ceiling.  Each light is 40-in. long. 

Have no movement or any shadows; I'm happy Smiley

Ken
KC8Y
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »

Ken. Tnx for reply.unfortunately I can’t hang anything off ceiling where I am.

Paul
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »

I have gone thru several   “ goose neck” desk lamps whose single point of failure seems to be how it mounts to the desk edge. Plus the aggravation of-not staying In the position I want it to.
Paul
Kc2nyu

Find an artist's or draftsman's desk lamp. It has spring-loaded articulated arms that allow you to focus it anywhere. It usually has a very sturdy clamp to attach it to the desk--you can probably find a mount for the lamp that screws to your desk top.

Visit an artist's supply shop or look at one on line. Buy a high-quality, more costly one. I will last forever and will always work
perfectly.

You can use whatever kind of bulb that will fit into a standard socket: incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, LED. I use
a big LED floodlight which brightly lights most of my radio rack making the details of the controls clearly readable. Meanwhile
I not light-polluting that whole end of the house.

LED floodlight bulb I use is, I think, the equivalent in lumens to a 150 or 200 watt incandescent bulb. There's no evident
RF interference on my receivers either.
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »

I got an led spot light with a stiff goose neck that stays put!!! The base has a STRONG magnet that has a ""switch"" on it to turn it on or off to re-position it.  The lamp does not get hot but is one heck of a clear and bright light.  It is also great for working on equipment as the flex is really stable.

Here is the ebay listing for the one I got, Enjoy, Woody

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Intensity-Cob-Led-Spot-Light-500-Lumens-w-Flexible-Adjustable-Magnetic-/292229405625?hash=item440a3adbb9
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »

If you have an IKEA close to you, they have an LED spot/flood goose neck desk lamp that works for me.  Switching PS is quiet.  Lamp head gets a little warm, but not enough to burn you.  Will hold its position nicely and the weighted base stays put.  About $10.  Black or white color. 
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:14 AM »

I use 2-fluorescent lights, mounted (about 50-inches high from my desk) stationary on the cellar-ceiling. 

Yuck.  After working in a cube farm a few years, I can't stand fluorescent lighting.  I changed all the ones in my office to incandescent recessed.
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »

Find an artist's or draftsman's desk lamp. It has spring-loaded articulated arms that allow you to focus it anywhere. It usually has a very sturdy clamp to attach it to the desk--you can probably find a mount for the lamp that screws to your desk top.

Visit an artist's supply shop or look at one on line. Buy a high-quality, more costly one. I will last forever and will always work
perfectly.

KE6EE- Micheal- can you tell me what Brand and model you have- sounds very interesting

73 Paul kc2nyu
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »

I got an led spot light with a stiff goose neck that stays put!!! The base has a STRONG magnet that has a ""switch"" on it to turn it on or off to re-position it.  The lamp does not get hot but is one heck of a clear and bright light.  It is also great for working on equipment as the flex is really stable.

Here is the ebay listing for the one I got, Enjoy, Woody

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Intensity-Cob-Led-Spot-Light-500-Lumens-w-Flexible-Adjustable-Magnetic-/292229405625?hash=item440a3adbb9

Woody- how does this light attach to your desk?

73 Paul kc2nyu
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »

KE6EE- Micheal- can you tell me what Brand and model you have- sounds very interesting
73 Paul kc2nyu

Mine is an Electrix model 2245 E014. Made in New Haven CT.

I noticed that Amazon no longer carries this model. Cost was about $200. Electrix also makes gooseneck
lamps which are about 1/3 the cost of the swingarm/drafting table type lamp but no doubt also well-made.

I am sure there are other sturdy American-made lamps of the same or similar design since they
are found everywhere people make or examine drawings. Luxo is another good brand at about the same price point.

I have used imported copies which are not early as sturdy or easy to use.

If you want to avoid the usual blue fluorescent light, which gives some people a headache, you can buy
LED bulbs with your choice of color temperature. The warmest color would be 2700 Kelvin. My floodlight
bulb uses 30W but lumen output is equivalent to a 200W incandescent.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:14:55 AM by KE6EE » Logged
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »

Micheal- you said on ur lamp "Cost was about $200." I couldn't find it online.
- Probably a bit more then I want to invest.
- Found these two. The first some buyers said the mount didn't hold up and the second has a dimmer so wonder about RFI. I'd like to find something in the $50 -75 range but if I can find something that is going to last and be the last shack lamp I have to buy, certainly wilt spend more.
73 Paul kc2nyu
https://www.amazon.com/Architect-Style-Clamp-Base-Desk/dp/B0000DI4PU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508432325&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Architect+Style+Clamp-On+Base+Desk+Lamp+-+Style+%23+72867
AND

https://www.amazon.com/Architect-Dimmable-Eye-Care-Technology-Adjustable/dp/B01N07P618/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508432093&sr=1-10&keywords=architect+swing+arm+desk+lamp
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »

I put it on equipment or there is a metal plate for it under one of the rigs to hold it down.  Non conductive desk for safety of course.  REALLY solid magnet thus the rotating on off switch to release the permanent magnet's hold. Woody
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »

These are my favorite cordless lamps to use for field day.

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »

A buddy of mine used a desk mic stand with the bendable neck - not the ' rigid '  type , and a small photo flood lamp. He used a floor stand with a variac and a flood light for brighter work.

KLC
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »

Mine is an Electrix model 2245 E014. Made in New Haven CT.

I noticed that Amazon no longer carries this model. Cost was about $200. Electrix also makes gooseneck
lamps which are about 1/3 the cost of the swingarm/drafting table type lamp but no doubt also well-made.

Some Electrix work lamps are available at Grainger. Try this link: https://www.grainger.com/category/task-lighting/task-lights/lighting/ecatalog/N-9ibZ1z0qg0s

And at Allied: https://www.alliedelec.com/electrix/?isredirect=1

I have some at my workplace and love them.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: