The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu DX 1200  (Read 2088 times)
AB9PM

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »

Does anyone have knowledge of a problem I am having with Yaesu FT DX 1200. Every once in awhile I lose LSB on my menu on 40 meters. Today I was operating 17 meters and 20 meters for several hours. Today I moved to 40 meters and there was no receive and no transmit. I tried to tune up anyway. ALC registered mid scale on the tune up and the antenna tuner registered no rf, and I mean NO RF. I moved back to 20 meters and I had full receive and transmit. I moved back to 40 meters and I had no receive and no transmit.

IF I reset the microprocessor everything goes back to normal operation until the next time it screws up. At one point when I used MOX and the mode control to cw, the mode control would NOT change to LSB on 40 meters. I went to 20 meters and the mode control would not change to cw to tune up. I again reset the transceiver, and I had NO problem for 2 more hours.

Any ideas, I used the transceiver outside as I usually do, but it was shaded all day and temp was 73 degrees outside.
I would not expect the microprocessor to be over heated. Transmission was not constant at all all afternoon, low number of contacts today.

AB9PM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »

Add to the above it is 5 months old!
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:37:45 AM »

If you are using a PSU, make sure it is properly regulated, if you are using a gel cell, make sure it has sufficient AH rating and is not discharged?..
Check fuse connections in power supply lead.

A poorly regulated supply could cause the uP to become erratic..

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
AB9PM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »

I am using a Daiwa SS-330w power supply 30 amp max switching power supply newer 5 months also, but I will try to watch how that is acting also, good point!

ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:30:55 AM »

:)The Daiwa SS-330w really is a brilliant switch mode supply.
As long as you are set to 14, not getting RF back (down coax), and fuse connections, Molex plug connections are OK, rig should be fine.
Maybe your portable antenna is too close?.
Try connecting an counterpoise wire or earth to the radio.

I have the FTDX-3000 and love that rig.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:52:09 AM »

Is it possible you were somehow set to SPLIT on 40M with the transmit frequency out of the ham bands?

I'm not an expert in the DX-1200, but most rigs remember last frequencies and splits per band, and most rigs know not to transmit out of the ham bands. Some rigs might be smart enough to, for example, not let a US hame transmit LSB below 7127 (in fact I wish more rigs had that feature).
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »

It sounds like RF is getting into the radio and screwing up the memory.  Has it done this while connected to a known good dummy load?
What type antenna and feed are you using?

-Mike.
AB9PM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

30 foot ground mounted vertical with ground and radials.
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »

:)More than likely RF interference.
Verticals are notorious for near field interference.

Suggest trying the rig into dummy load, if that works ok, try and install a choke balun on the coax at the TRX.. (Clamp on ferrites work very well)
Put an earth / counterpoise on the rig and psu.
Separate rig and antenna further.
Try a simple balanced antenna like a dipole.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: