The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inmarsat Antenna Question  (Read 1217 times)
KA1OWC

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »

Getting ready to begin building a portable antenna for Inmarsat...I have the Outernet L-Band antenna, the LNA unit and am waiting for the Bias-T power gadget to arrive...Here's my rather simplistic question: I want to mount the antenna and the LNA in a plastic utility box so that it can be waterproofed...Will the plastic box hinder the reception of the L-Band signal? Also, for the antenna itself: In what position should it be mounted? Feed wire at 6 o'clock or how? This is my first try at the higher and weaker frequencies, so any advice is welcome...Thanks!

Steve, KA1OWC
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, US Army
Army Nurse Corps
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »

Should work fine. My outernet setup is all in a ABS Bud Box with the L band antenna and LNA. Curious what you are using for receiver. Depending on what you are trying to receive and the receiver, you may or may not need the LNA. I get SafetyNet and FleetNet with simple cardboard, foil and wire helix with an RSP-1, no LNA.
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »

Using an RSP-1 also!

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »

Then you will be able to handily receive most anything on the Inmarsat birds with no external LNA. Even Outernet, if you can make the software work with the RSP-1. Haven't tried that yet. Still using the RTL-SDR dongle for that one.

You will be amazed at how much indecipherable sat traffic there is out there on L-Band when you sweep across the sky.

Things that are somewhat interesting are Fleetnet and Safetynet, especially if you have the ECG similar decoder software, and the AERO stuff. The good AERO data is on C-band though.

The other sort of fun thing about L-band is that the antennas are very small, so it lends itself to experimentation.

[https://forums.outernet.is/t/more-helical-madness/2958/76]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:07:29 PM by K5TED » Logged
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply again! I am completely new at this, so could you tell me just exactly what is the ECG decoder and the AERO decoder? All I can find are medical ECG decoders! I assume AERO is aviation of some sort...Really appreciate your help!

Steve
Garden City, KS
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:33:55 PM by KA1OWC » Logged

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »

Sorry,it's EGC   look up tekmanoid for that info

Inmarsat decoder is the other option
Pages: [1]   Go Up