The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good power supply for Yaesu FT-450D?  (Read 3333 times)
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 06:14:21 AM »

"On a slight tangent to this thread:
I read or was advised by someone that the power supply should NOT have its negative terminal bonded to chassis/earth ground, and should have a dedicated ground to earth from the chassis.
By dedicated, does that mean I need to run a second #6 ground conductor from my shack to the ground rod? Completely separate from the radio's GC?
Or can I simply plug the supply's 3-wire grounding power cord into a grounding receptacle and have it grounded only to the house electrical?
"
Describe your present station better, please. Antenna, rig, and ground.
There are three reasons for grounding.  You want a single point ground.  I am not sure what you were told was accurate in the above statement.

-Mike.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 07:17:07 AM »

Frank,

Thank you for asking.

I'd get either or both RS-35Ms. Money is the factor, however. I can ignore meters.

I would not get the RS-50A. Who knows what's wrong with it. They may be
just trying to dump the equipment.

And if you need more current or voltage they can be connected
in parallel or series quite easily.

Yes, RS series have the over-protection crowbar circuitry.

Mike,

I had to disconnect the power supplies' chassis ground when I connected them in series
for either 28 volts (two in series) or 45 volts (three in series). That was from my EB-104
and EB-27A days. Not on the amplifier thing anymore. It was fun however.

I shall be on twenty meters Morse for the day. Be safe everyone. We need you.

Kraus
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:22:16 AM by KC4ZGP » Logged
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »

What about the Astron SS 30 switching supply. Description states it is designed for use with comm equipment, and has RF filters.
The SS 30 is good for 25A continuous. Not sure that is OK though, since the rig would need 20-22A at full CW output, running so close to the supply max might not be such a good idea.
Or, maybe just go for the Astron SS 50 with 40A continuous 50A max.
I hesitate on the switching issue, but I would think Astron would know what they are doing. I can get the SS 50M bran-new with warranty for $163 + $15 shipping on Ebay.

Interesting note: On the RS30M I posted about earlier, I contacted the seller. Although he was listing the item as "new-other", it was not new. He told me he had used it 20 times for about an hour to check into nets or program radios. I don't think the item should be listed as new if it has 20 hours of use on it. He is offering a 1yr warranty through a 3rd party, but knowing what I do about 3rd party warranty services, I am not very confident with it.
Of course, 20 hours of use would be just enough to "burn-in" the power supply, but not having the warranty is a bit risky I think.

Unless I can find some bad reviews for the Astron SS-50M, I think that's the one I will go with. Bran-new with 1yr Astron warranty.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:54:01 AM by KE2KB » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »

I have had my Astron Rs35M for many years.  Years and Years of solid power.  In reading the reviews of the Jetstream 28 am switching power supply, many have stated there is no hash emitted by the supply that they could hear.  Maybe some switchers can be cleaned up enough to not have significant emissions.  But every switch mode power supply I have dealt with always has some emissions. i remember the supply for a linksys data switch, that always had a bit of trash coming out of it, that I had put a bunch of ferrites on and gotten it down to an acceptable small level.  It operated this way for many years, then one day I turned on the radio and all bands were totally wiped out.  Just wall to wall spurious emissions.  I had no idea what the problem was, but started to flip circuit breakers in the house.

I quickly narrowed it down to this data switch and its power supply.  Somehow the supply had failed or to be more precise some of its suppression circuitry had failed as the data switch was still operational, but this supply was now also a huge QRM generator.  I quickly replaced the supply with another and my problem was gone.  I kept this defective supply for a while and marveled at the amount of RF energy across such a wideband it emitted.  I wondered if it would be useful as a device to install on a rival contest clubs power system to take them off the air.. Of course I jest, as I would never actually do such a thing, and I did throw it away, but it amazed me how much RF that thing would emit.  I though that you could probably couple it to an antenna and key it with a CW key and have a wideband "spark" transmitter.

So when many reviewers say that the Jetstream has no emissions, I have a hard time believing it, but perhaps it is so.

I can certainly see the positives of a 28 amp switching power supply for less than 90 dollars that weighs next to nothing is such a small package.  Although many did note the rather loud acoustic noise the supply made with its fan.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »

What about the Astron SS 30 switching supply. Description states it is designed for use with comm equipment, and has RF filters.
The SS 30 is good for 25A continuous. Not sure that is OK though, since the rig would need 20-22A at full CW output, running so close to the supply max might not be such a good idea.

It should be OK.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »

Here is a "funny story", that I should not tell on myself, but anyway here goes.  A few days ago, I was operating FT8 with my IC7300 on 160 meters, and I was a bit bored as the "new states" were few and far between so I fired up my 756pro3 on 40 meters and joined a ragchew roundtable.  I figured all would be well as I while the maximum current draw of both transmitters would be over the limit of my Astron RS35m, I figured since I would not be transmitting at the same time, there should not be a problem.  And there wasn't for about 30 minutes into the QSO, it was my turn to transmit on 40,  and just then a "new state" I needed on 160 came up on the PC attached to the 7300.

Like an idiot I clicked on it, and the 7300 went into transmit while I was transmitting on the other rig.  Well the combined current pull was a bit more than my Astron wanted, so it started to shut down, and the 7300, like any good computer started to reboot, and the PRO 3 kinda "sagged", but it stayed up on the air.  As soon as the 7300 stopped transmitting and went into reboot I was good to go of course.  Nothing damaged, but I didn't pull that stunt again. 
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »

Frank,

A very good move. During the warranty period, you'll know if switching
power supplies are OK or not OK. No warranties on used, eBay, garage
sales, etc.

Let us know.

Kraus

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »

Again, it depends upon what you are using the power supply for.  In the shack a heavy conventional supply is reliable and after you place it once, you are not concerned about the weight.  Yesterday I was at a Boy Scout event where we set up several radios in a park pavilion.  Everyone brought a switcher because no one wanted a hernia or strained back.  Does anyone remember the TenTec closed kilowatt?  The power supply looked like one of those small college dorm room refrigerators and weighed over 75#.
Art
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 11:41:16 AM »

Again, it depends upon what you are using the power supply for.  In the shack a heavy conventional supply is reliable and after you place it once, you are not concerned about the weight.  Yesterday I was at a Boy Scout event where we set up several radios in a park pavilion.  Everyone brought a switcher because no one wanted a hernia or strained back.  Does anyone remember the TenTec closed kilowatt?  The power supply looked like one of those small college dorm room refrigerators and weighed over 75#.
Art

that is a very good point.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »

I use this one: https://powerwerx.com/ss30dv-desktop-dc-power-supply-powerpole

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »

The reviews are certainly glowing with this product (on their own website of course)  Do you concur that there is zero spurious emissions from this supply?
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

The reviews are certainly glowing with this product (on their own website of course)  Do you concur that there is zero spurious emissions from this supply?

I have had no issues with this. It’s in my portable station box. Several other guys in my club also use the same one and they all like them.

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »

You won't go wrong with Astron.  Well built, name brand, reliable... both switching and linear.  And they can fix it if it breaks.
73s.

-Mike.
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »

I decided to go with the Astron RS-35M from DX Engineering.
Should be receiving it at about the same time I get the Yaesu FT-450D.

What about power supply burn-in? I have been reading here that any new (or used) power supply should be burned in for 24 hours before connecting it to the radio.
Any recommendations on what to use as a "dummy load" if I do this?

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »

No burn in required.

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: