The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG FTL Meter Backlight with FT-897D  (Read 2139 times)
N4CQR

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »

Rather than having to add yet another wallwart here, is there a +12 ~ -12 250Ma source via one of the ports on the rear of the FT-897D? I'd like to power the backlight in the FTL meter without having to break-in to the internal power supply cable and add a 1/4amp fuse.
I was thinking one of the ports has +&- 12V for an accessory. Common sense thinking says just fuse a separate fused run from the internal power supply output but is there a better or more common way to do this?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Craig, N4CQR

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »

There does not appear to be a power source in the rear jacks of the unit.  You might be able to install one near the power input, or convert the ext spkr or meter jack for this purpose, but do plan on a fuse in case of accidental shorting.  I have not had the cover off to see how practical this would be.
73s.

-Mike.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »

Mike, thanks for the comment!

The best and most convenient way I have found so far is just tap into the power supply lead and add a fuse holder with a 250ma fuse. I guess I'll do that. My old FT-990 had 12-volts available on keydown via (may have been via the CAT or DATA) port which I used to close a external reed relay to key a SB-200 amp. However it was only available on keydown and not there all of the time.

I guess I just do the obvious.

Thanks and 73
Craig, N4CQR
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »

If you plan to draw 250 milliamps, design with a 500 milliamp or even a 1 amp fast blow fuse in mind.
73s.

-Mike.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »

As recommended, and thanks, Mike.

Be well!

Craig

PE1HZG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »

There does not appear to be a power source in the rear jacks of the unit. 

Actually, the CAT/TUNER connector on the back sports 13.8V out. Just be careful not to short it; it is protected but replacing the protecting resistor is not easy.
You will just need an 8-pin micro-DIN connector.

Same output obviously for the other members of the family (857, 817) - note that the 817 can't drive the meter but it can power it, or something else, from this plug..

I'm powering mine from there and that works just fine.

Geert Jan PE1HZG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: