The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real time CW decoder android app?  (Read 1710 times)
KENNETH

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »

Anyone know of an Android app for real time Morse decoder you can hold up to your rigs speaker? I've tried 3 or 4 of the free ones all with no luck. So far My mfj pocket decoder has worked great. Thanks 73
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »

Anyone know of an Android app for real time Morse decoder you can hold up to your rigs speaker? I've tried 3 or 4 of the free ones all with no luck. So far My mfj pocket decoder has worked great. Thanks 73

Like you, I have never found one that worked satisfactorily. 
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

The official KC0W "Level of Respect" for fellow CW operators:

Those who use code readers.....................Because I'm a nice guy I won't give my true feelings.

As opposed to:

1. Anyone who busted their ass learning code at 60+ years old.
 2. Those who never became proficient at CW but never gave up & still plug along at 5 -10 WPM.
 3. Any teenage kid in this day & age trying his best to learn CW.
 4. The guys who contest SO2R on CW for 48 hours straight. Remember Alex, D4B? He used to make 13,000+ CW QSOs in a single weekend.
 5. Anyone who hated learning CW but realized it was the only way to upgrade back when the FCC actually made you work for the upgrade.

I bow before any of the above mentioned individuals.

The rest of you......Ummmm........Good luck with your code readers. May you always have a fresh set of batteries when/if P5 ever gets on the air.

Tom 

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »

over the years - - I've bought a few of these,
& including the MFJ-461
but none were ever that brilliant or even really that use-able.

anyway, I'd like to get one that does work, even if in a specific method,
- mainly to check how bad my TX is these days.

as most will attest, the best method of all, is to Get On Air  . . .

KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »

Anyway, back on topic to android app cw decoders.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:23:15 PM »

MY code reader works fine but not so well when I first wake up.
  May your learning of Morse go smoothly and quicker than mine my friend.
  Will be happy to work with you on the air at slow speed when you are ready to.
  Vy 73 from Lane in Columbus, Ohio,.. de n8aft  sk  ..
HB9FXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:48:13 AM »

"Morse Code Reader", a free Android app with a photo of a walrus as an icon works really great and is able to copy local and over the air CW. It decodes bug-sent code and even straight keys if they're not too sloppy. I sometimes use it to train and check my sending. It's not perfect with its spacing algorithm as it sometimes glue together characters even though they're separated with a 2-second pause. Of course, a silent environment helps. If your kids are screaming insults at their video game opponents in the background or listening to loud heavy metal, the app will struggle. Sharp filters are mandatory too if the band is crowded as it doesn't deal very well with QRM.

Like most CW operators (or at least like the most vocal ones) I think human brain is the best* decoder but I'd rather have a QSO with someone using computer assistance than have no QSO at all.

* "best decoder" meaning the most worthwhile, the one giving the most satisfaction, not the most efficient. Human superiority is a myth and computers have been able to decode a whole CW segment at once for a while (CW skimmers). I'm always surprised by the RBN's ability to decode even my crappy straight key sending even with a marginal signal and heavy QRM.

Seiuchy, free morse QSO quiz and simulator
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:28:35 AM »

when/if P5 ever gets on the air.

I'm working on hopeful upcoming VK5EEE/P5 operation QRP 30m CW only and hopefully in the next few months time. Will not use split, will use a new style of controlling massive pile ups and keeping it real: QRP, and MOUSE -- changing frequency and let the cats do the chasing.

I too agree with your list above for greatest respects Tom!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 05:59:20 AM »

I agree as well, better any CW QSO than none at all.... but when I have to repeat a bunch of times something I send that might be a slight departure from the routine -- even though he is receiving me 599 -- even though my sending is via a keyer and I've been Morse-literate for 60 years -- then it's a quick "73 SK".
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »

4. The guys who contest SO2R on CW for 48 hours straight. Remember Alex, D4B? He used to make 13,000+ CW QSOs in a single weekend.

Except he is just pressing macro keys on a keyboard and not touching a paddle or key.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »

Ok, so I loaded the one with the walrus as an icon.  It doesn't do all that bad. I can for sure out copy me. It needs good filtering on the rig, and a minimum of QSB. And of course good spacing will help.  But an awful lot of people don't send with good spacing, what with it being performance art and all. So you can't really criticize it.  I will try it later on some W1AW code practice.  I bet it works pretty well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: