The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airstream Trailer Antenna Options  (Read 1539 times)
K1JWJ

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »

Would like to set up a HF rig in our subject RV when we move south and leave the MI snow and ice.

I have pretty much got a handle on the radio, tuner, PS, etc. But at a loss as to what options I would have in antennas. With an all aluminum trailer body (chassis only steel), anyone have suggestions.

Hate to be limited to one band, but will do what is necessary to get on the air.

Thanks and 73,

Jeff
K1JWJ
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »

You will be out some money, but a lot of guys use a screwdriver antenna and a remote controlled mount that will lay down.  They mount the antenna on top, and raise it when parked and lower it when traveling. These seem to work very well with the high unobstructed mount and with the large metallic mass under it.   Or did you need to use it while traveling?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

Would like to set up a HF rig in our subject RV when we move south and leave the MI snow and ice.

I have pretty much got a handle on the radio, tuner, PS, etc. But at a loss as to what options I would have in antennas. With an all aluminum trailer body (chassis only steel), anyone have suggestions.

Hate to be limited to one band, but will do what is necessary to get on the air.

Thanks and 73,

Jeff
K1JWJ
To be used stationary or moving?  I saw an air stream parked with a 20+ foot PVC pole on top.  The ham was using it to work 10 through 40 meters with a tuner.
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:09:31 PM »

Thanks and 73,

Jeff
K1JWJ

I use 2 standard 5ft. peces of TV antenna mast hose clamped to the jack stand. Attach one section to the stand. The second piece I first attach the antenna to, then slip onto the already mounted mast.

I've seen another RVer do similar, but was using the Hustler system with the three resonator mount.
N7TEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:58:57 AM »

Jeff,

The way I did it was request a spot in one corner, and used the fence posts to mount a pair of ten foot masts (top rail) to hold up a G5RV.  Of course you have to ask the park manager if you can do it.  Using the tongue area to hold the center one. 

This allows the traffic to go under the antenna.  Even if they have the sat. dish in the up position.

Dave
N7TEE
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »

I'm often surprised at what people will allow if you just ask them first. I lived in an apartment with a vacant lot next door: The lot owner said it was fine with him if I put up an antenna. From a trailer my first thought was to take along a push up mast and a magloop in case you couldn't use adjacent area and a wire antenna for when it's ok to use a handy tree. Magloops are kind of not intrusive looking, people probably think you have an FM radio or maybe a scanner, no? You can experiment with vertical/horizontal mounting and a rotor to find out how the magloop works with your trailer under it, they even work very close to the ground in vertical polarization.

At one of my residences I had a big lot and parked a trailer in the back yard. That was a great shack for operating: heated, cooled, 12 volt power, comfort, etc...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N1SFT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 06:20:49 AM »

Thanks and 73,

Jeff
K1JWJ

Hi Jeff,

I'm an RVer too, but my trailer has the rubber roof membrane... so no ground plane directly.

BUT - wouldn't the Aluminum skin work as a decent ground plane?  Even though it's somewhat cylindrical, doesn't it flatten out near the crown of the ridgeline?

I'm really jealous of the metal body, because I would just simply drill some NMO mounts.   I'm still not technically an HF operator, so maybe my ignorance of HF Mobile antennas is showing.   ? 

craig

______
Craig T. Bailey
N1SFT
WRAE792
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: