The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHARES Replaces Force of 50 in Puerto Rico  (Read 2433 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »

Interesting.  ARRL's Letter of 10/19 says that the "Force of 50" (actually 22) has headed home to the mainland as they've been replaced by 10 paid Federal employees who happen to be amateurs.  I'm a tad puzzled.  SHARES is an HF network, coordinated by MARS members (or, it used to be) and MARS members aren't paid federal employees.  But, what do I know.....  Things may have changed.

So, all of the local coordination provided by ARRL's group, largely on VHF and UHF, will be replaced with less than half as many HF-only operators using government equipment on government frequencies?  Good luck.  While I guess the SHARES folks will use a STANAG protocol (and other than SCS Pactor modems to pass written traffic), it seems puzzling that if the needs still exist for regional assistance, another call was not put out for volunteers to rotate those who had been assigned there via the Red Cross instead of a sparse SHARES group.

From the jest of ARRL's writing, a great need still exists.  Not sure that 10 SHARES people can do much of what the 22 volunteers did.  After all, things like trying to contact someone in the states on a federal-only frequency might be a tad more difficult.  Especially since one story of MARS not working well in the Hurricane aftermath and needing amateur assistance to make a contact to summon aid.

ARRL ought to send a second group as there's still lots to be done......
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

W6EM, don't you know that paid govt. employees can do a better job than a mere amateur?  Ask any govt. agency and they will tell you.  In real life is this actually going to work better?  Probably not but it sure will cost a lot more.
Art
KC9PWT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:08 PM »

i volunteered when arrl asked for the first fifty  sounds like they should have had a second group set up to follow on and continue support.

alex
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »

SHARES is a FEMA network, run by FEMA paid employees.  Other agencies are often invited to participate, but it is a FEMA net.

FEMA manages federal assets to meet the requested requirement.  If they needed amateurs they would ask for them.

Do you have proof that the FEMA SHARES operators are performing the same tasks in the same locations that the ARRL team was performing?  Otherwise, they aren't a 'replacement".

I don't think you are in any position to second guess what they need.

It isn't hard to fathom the advantages of having professional communicators with professional equipment, vice having rotating teams of amateurs with personal equipment.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:24:14 AM by KB4QAA » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

And it isn't hard to fathom the bloated cost of this caper either.
Art
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »

Do you have proof that the FEMA SHARES operators are performing the same tasks in the same locations that the ARRL team was performing?  Otherwise, they aren't a 'replacement".

I don't think you are in any position to second guess what they need.

I used ARRL's words regarding replacement.  SHARES is an HF operation.  Besides the Pactor III/IV Red Cross message traffic, ARRL led us to believe that the group was doing a lot of VHF/UHF short haul relaying of hospital and other needs.

SHAred HF RESources....or at least it used to be.  Perhaps the best situation would be to float or airlift some of FEMA's Atlanta-based satellite trucks to PR.  Propagation not a factor with those.
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »

Interesting Ham Radio Now episode on that, and more shenanigans. Shares is mentioned at the end, and "replaced" may not be the correct term.

It's a long one, but I believe well worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=ID4uK8AKq4w
KG7LEA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:54:12 AM »

The Force of 22 was deployed as a Red Cross asset and apparently the Red Cross declined to renew after three weeks. One thing we did not hear about was the activation of any ARES hams from PR. They were reportedly operational on their own repeaters as soon as the storm passed.

After the Force of Fifty was revealed to be a Force of 22 I am dubious about the press releases.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »

Force.

Force.

Force.

And these people want to be taken seriously? How about amateur radio volunteers?

KLC
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »

Force.

Force.

Force.

And these people want to be taken seriously? How about amateur radio volunteers?

KLC

Must use WizzBang words and phrases for the press releases and self gloss. "Force of", Going Rogue", "Broken Arrow", When all else....." Anything that Bruce Willis would have said to be manly.  Some of them speak Q Code at the dinner table.
KG7LEA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »

So, all of the local coordination provided by ARRL's group, largely on VHF and UHF, will be replaced with less than half as many HF-only operators using government equipment on government frequencies? 

Most of the Force's work was done on HF because that was the equipment they were deployed with in response to the Red Cross's original mission.

The Force later deployed with Red Cross Reunification Teams with their own HTs and 50-watt mobiles provided by the Red Cross.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 02:54:44 PM »

So, all of the local coordination provided by ARRL's group, largely on VHF and UHF, will be replaced with less than half as many HF-only operators using government equipment on government frequencies? 

Most of the Force's work was done on HF because that was the equipment they were deployed with in response to the Red Cross's original mission.

The Force later deployed with Red Cross Reunification Teams with their own HTs and 50-watt mobiles provided by the Red Cross.
While in terms of message traffic, you probably are exactly right.  But, that value to the League's publicity seemed less than the other recovery and rescue operations that followed.  To me (and apparently to the League as well]) it seemed sending some HF relay FEMA employees to replace the group probably left a gaping hole in some very important needs of the people in distress and in need....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: