The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirecTV DVR problem and solution  (Read 2583 times)
K8AC

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:32 AM »

I've had DirecTV since the beginning and recently upgraded to a H24-200 DVR receiver.  While I never had a problem with my HF operation interfering with previous DirecTV receivers, the new DVR exhibits weird behaviors in the face of HF operation.  Problems include: random selection of channels, random scheduling of recordings, random entry of menus, etc.  I run a KW on 160 through 10 meters and the problems occur when operating on any of the bands.  A google search quickly shows that many other amateurs are having the same problem with this receiver.  The root of the problem appears to be the fact that the receiver uses touch switches (capacitive?) on the front panel and the receiver is not enclosed in a metal cabinet.  As expected, DirecTV support knows nothing about the problem.

I first applied ferrites to all the connected cables but that had no effect at all.  I then went searching to see what solutions others may have found and I ran across only one, that one on Youtube.  That amateur claims that he wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around top, sides and bottom of the receiver and that solved the problem.  He further claimed that just laying a piece of foil across the top and folding it over the sides did NOT have any effect.

I first tried the foil on the top and sides and indeed it had no effect at all on the interference.  Next I wrapped a piece of foil around the top, sides and bottom.  To my surprise, this completely eliminated the problem on all bands while running a KW.  Unfortunately, this isn't a permanent solution since both the sides and bottom of the receiver contain ventilation slots.  So, next step is to construct a perforated steel or aluminum shell to surround the receiver and paint it black to blend in with its surroundings. 

If you have one of these DirecTV receivers and have the problems I described, try the foil wrap first.  Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL-koUaSZM0&t=304s

If you've been living with the DVR problems, don't laugh at this solution - just try it.

73, Floyd - K8AC
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:44:13 AM »

There will be a special place in hell for the inventor of the capacitive touch switch alongside the inventor of the the switching power supply. Smiley 
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »

Today I tried wrapping the receiver with aluminum window screen in the same fashion as I did with the aluminum foil.  The screen just didn't have the same shielding property and had no effect on the problem. 

I also noted that the receiver uses a two wire line cord - no ground path to the AC receptacle.  I tried a separate ground wire from chassis to AC outlet ground and that had no effect.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »

More thorough testing with the aluminum foils shows that while some problems are reduced, all are not eliminated.  DirecTV says it's the radio operator's problem, not theirs.  Finally got them to agree to send me a new non-DVR receiver and that works fine with no problems during transmission.  But, they are going to stick me with the cost of the DVR.  When you get a DVR, you pay up front, but it's actually a lease - you don't own the unit.  So, if you plan to deal with DirecTV, be aware of the problem with the H24-200 DVR and know that if you have the problem they'll stick it to you.  Back to Dish when this contract expires.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »

It doesn't take a KW to make the DirecTV DVRs lose their minds, 100 watts 50 feet away on 40 or 80 meters can make a unit act like it has been possessed by demons.

If you have been with DirecTV for a while, get hard with them an tell them that they are going to eat the cost or you are going to Dish. Very often they will grant your request.

KF7CG
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:51:23 AM »

It doesn't take a KW to make the DirecTV DVRs lose their minds, 100 watts 50 feet away on 40 or 80 meters can make a unit act like it has been possessed by demons.

That's right.  I tested with 100 watts on 160, 40 and 20 with the same results. I now have a non-DVR receiver installed again and there's no problem with 1,200 watts out on any band.  We've been with DirecTV since their beginning, except for a couple years when we used Dish because of escalating DirecTV prices.  We recently got them to reduce our monthly rate for a year and they gave us the NFL Sunday Ticket for free.  But, we're locked in for a year now, so can't leave for Dish. 

When they acquired DirecTV, AT&T brought with them their old corporate attitude left over from their monopoly days. They'll screw a customer for a dime, with no thought to long term consequences.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: