The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ID-4100A and DMR?  (Read 6509 times)
KENNETH

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »

Anyone else found this to be true? Thanks.

"I recently purchased a new ID-4100A from Gigaparts and have been setting it up over the weekend.  I bought it to replace my ID-880H which I have had for years.  One of the main reasons I bought it was for the built in GPS, and the Terminal and Access point modes. Much to my surprise there was virtually no information in the manual about how to use them.  I searched the internet and found several instructions and used them to attempt to setup an access point using the 4100A, but I just couldn't get it to work.  Now my understanding of an access point in DTAR is that it should be like a DVAP or SharkRF or a D-HAP. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the 4100A access point and terminal mode is nothing like that.  If fact I wouldn't call it disappointment as mush as plain disgust.  I feel that Icom has pulled a fast one on America since the 4100 uses a form of call sign routing to accomplish what the call an access point. I found this on W6CX website during my search for information on how to configure the access point on the 4100A; "But you should be aware Terminal and AccessPoint modes only work using ICOM Callsign Routing. This means when you connect to another gateway through the internet and transmit, you will be heard there, but users who want to reply will need to know how to use Callsign Routing and capture your callsign (usually by pressing the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting).  If they don't do that, you will not hear their reply.  The same applies to when you want to reply to a callsign routed call. This means Terminal and Access Point features do not support linked connections to reflectors.  This fact is not always obvious from reading the sales literature. "  I am tempted to return the radio to ICOM, but I bought it through Gigaparts and I don't think they will take it back.  What is ICOM America planning to do about this?  Is there a fix or is it up to the local clubs and individuals to work around the issue like W6CX did?  I am very disappointed in ICOM for advertising this radio as something that it isn't."
W4PER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:04:42 AM »

I went through similar disappointments with the ID-4100A as well as the discovery that they included none of the cool mounting hardware that came with ID-880H, like the magnet mount for the control head. I finally got fed up with it and sold it (gave it away) and got into System Fusion. I now have a Wires X node and am having very good success with it and an FTM-400XDR.
Bob
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »

Do I understand the review right that DVAP and DV Dongle users do not have to press the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting on  linked connections to reflectors. While the ICOM's method you must or else you wont be heard on linked connections to reflectors? Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: