The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LiFePO4 battery recommendation for use with Genasun GV-5 controller  (Read 571 times)
KD2JIP

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »

I chose the Genasun GV-5 solar charge controller for my portable 12V power system for QRP operation. It's the smallest, lightest, most reputable controller I could find with most of my required specs.  I paired it with a 4S3P LiFePO4 battery that unfortunately disconnects at a low charging current threshold of 0.02C.  When this happens, the GV-5 passes panel VOC upwards of 15V to its output terminals.  This isn't good for my radio and other associated electronics--I fried a tablet that I was using for digital modes.

As a work around, I use a DPDT switch to manually connect either the solar panel or the load to the controller, making it impossible for panel VOC to reach my load.  Unfortunately, this makes it impossible to float the battery and to power the load from excess panel power.  Instead, I have to alternately charge and and discharge the battery.

I recently conversed online with someone who has been using a DIY LiFePO4 battery pack successfully with the GV-5, with none of the problems that I described above.  The critical difference between his battery and mine is in the BMS boards.  His does not disconnect the battery at some point near the end of the charge cycle, whereas mine does.

My questions are:

1)  If you are successfully using the Genasun GV-5 to charge a LiFePO4 battery pack, which battery are you using?

2)  If I were to make a DIY 4s3p battery pack from 3.2V 1500 mAh 18650 cells, which PCM board should I use to balance cells and provide protection without causing the problem I described above?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:35:57 PM by KD2JIP » Logged
KB1PFE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:30 PM »

I came across this video recently DIY Portable LiFePO4 Power for Ham Radio QRP QRO

He also has a page about it Man Portable Off-grid Power for Amateur Radio Introduction

Uses exactly the same Genasun GV-5 but built his own LiFePO4 battery pack.

Hope it helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: