The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End fed antenna solid or stranded?  (Read 784 times)
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »

I'm putting up an end fed antenna and want to know if I should use solid or stranded wire? It will be about 63 to 65 feet long and stapled under the eaves of the roof. I already have built the 9:1 Unun
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »

I'm putting up an end fed antenna and want to know if I should use solid or stranded wire? It will be about 63 to 65 feet long and stapled under the eaves of the roof. I already have built the 9:1 Unun

I don't think it is going to matter. Especially in your install. Some think that stranded wire when suspended will wear better, but I have had solid wire that worked well too.  But if you are stapling it up, I just don't see how it will matter.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »

It doesn't matter - that is the least of your worries.

How you ground the feedpoint makes more difference.
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »

The feed point will be few feet away from an 8 foot copper rod driven into the AZ soil.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »

Likely work better with a counterpoise wire.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »

The feed point will be few feet away from an 8 foot copper rod driven into the AZ soil.

I don't live in AZ, but isn't AZ soil sandy and dry?  Wouldn't it make a better insulator than a conductor?  I am thinking a counterpoise wire too...
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »

Quote from: KF7ZFC

"A few feet" should be good enough on the low bands.  I started off on 75m SSB with
a 60' wire fed against a wire to the closest water pipe (back when we knew the pipes
were metal.)  Might not have been the most efficient approach, but it got me on the air.  
 didn't use a matching transformer, however:   I plugged the wire straight into the back
of the rig, since it presented a good match to 50 ohms (due to the ground losses.)  I'm
not sure why you would want to use a step-down transformer in that case.

As you go higher in frequency, the length of the ground connection becomes more
critical.  While it looks like a direct connection from a DC perspective, there will be
an RF voltage drop along the wire (depending on its length in wavelengths) and that
will mean that the coax  shield will be above ground potential, so you could have some
"RF in the shack".

A single ground rod - particularly in AZ soil - won't necessarily provide an adequate RF
ground.  Adding some ground radials to it will make the antenna more efficient, but you
can experiment with that once you have the antenna up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: