The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 M Propogation  (Read 737 times)
KC2TRX

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »

I'm just now looking at European DX spots.  What I don't get:  all these European stations talking to each other, and to the USA, as if 10M propagation was "normal." And yet, most USA hams hear a dead band.  What gives?  Howe come 10 is open in Europe, but not here?
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »

HF propagation is better viewed in terms of local time.  Europe is 5 hours ahead of us.  Take a map of the propagation openings and shift it by 75 degrees latitude and 5 hours.  

The DX cluster typically shows what the best stations hear.  When conditions are spotty or poor many average stations can't even detect what the best stations can work.

Last week I worked SV1 and EA6.  Today I worked an EA8 on 10M with my EDZ at 40 feet.

Also, 10M is latitude dependent.  The higher North you are the fewer openings you will see.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:51:02 AM by W1VT » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »

Also check the mode of operation.  You can operate the WSJT modes with around 20 dB less signal than SSB voice.  10 meters is open every day here to south and central America on FT8.  EVERY DAY.  Even with Smoothed Sunspots at zero.  This is with an MA5B minibeam at 40 ft. and I live in a hole.  These signals are not strong enough to support SSB, but will support FT8 just fine.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »

With 10M, you follow the Sun!!   Roll Eyes   www.DXmaps.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: