The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 M Propogation  (Read 15272 times)
KC2TRX

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »

I'm just now looking at European DX spots.  What I don't get:  all these European stations talking to each other, and to the USA, as if 10M propagation was "normal." And yet, most USA hams hear a dead band.  What gives?  Howe come 10 is open in Europe, but not here?
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »

HF propagation is better viewed in terms of local time.  Europe is 5 hours ahead of us.  Take a map of the propagation openings and shift it by 75 degrees latitude and 5 hours.  

The DX cluster typically shows what the best stations hear.  When conditions are spotty or poor many average stations can't even detect what the best stations can work.

Last week I worked SV1 and EA6.  Today I worked an EA8 on 10M with my EDZ at 40 feet.

Also, 10M is latitude dependent.  The higher North you are the fewer openings you will see.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:51:02 AM by W1VT » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »

Also check the mode of operation.  You can operate the WSJT modes with around 20 dB less signal than SSB voice.  10 meters is open every day here to south and central America on FT8.  EVERY DAY.  Even with Smoothed Sunspots at zero.  This is with an MA5B minibeam at 40 ft. and I live in a hole.  These signals are not strong enough to support SSB, but will support FT8 just fine.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »

With 10M, you follow the Sun!!   Roll Eyes   www.DXmaps.com
VK3YE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:35:24 AM »

On 10m around mid summer and mid winter (ie now) there is also sporadic-E which can give some very strong signals with SSB.

Though possibly more prevalent during the day it can occur at any time.

And it's independent of the solar cycle. 

Here's an example from last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nya0MOmtN14

Peter VK3YE

Author of popular $US 5 titles 'Minimum QRP', 'Hand-carried QRP antennas', 'Getting back into Amateur Radio' & '99 things you can do with Amateur Radio'. Ebook and paperback editions.
Visit http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3yebooks.htm or search titles in Amazon.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »

Today I worked half a dozen non-local 10M stations after local Noon.  I also worked a YS1 on 12 meters--a new one on 12M digital.

Zack W1VT
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »

Without a doubt people like the OP, come on listen for a few minutes, don't hear anything and declare the "band dead" and go lower in frequency.  THAT IS WHY THE BAND IS DEAD!.  or appears to be, because YOU left. Many people check for a few minutes and leave. You must hang around all day and pay attention to where the Es clouds are and point your antennas at them and work people on the other side.  This is E skip folks and it is sporadic.  Pack a lunch, stay all day, and actually use the tools the internet provides to make the most of your chances to work some Q's.

Of course 10 is open every day to somewhere.  Of course I worked several new states today on 12 meters. It seems "dead" too if you check it for a few minutes and leave.  If you want to work stations on our upper bands during sunspot minimums you have to work at it. If you don't enjoy that type of operating, then go ahead and declare the "band is dead", and go lower.

Some day 10 meters will support F layer propagation again and when you come up on frequency, you will immediately hear activity.  But until then... well it is what it is.  Work at it and you will be rewarded, if not you won't. 
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »

10M is also known for sidescatter under disturbed conditions. EU comes in over Central to South Africa. Africa comes in well over the S Atlantic towards Brazil. Aim North for Aurora. Aim NW for Aurora to E Skip links into KL7 and Asia.

A 3el yagi is easy to build and small/light enough to mount anywhere including in an attic...or upstairs BR Shocked

10M is a band of surprises and needs lots of attention.

Carl
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »

Trans Equatorial propagation occured September/October over here in the UK with South America coming through.
Also at dusk, on CB, Germany comes through (Not over strong).
When the band is open to North America, I often hear local nets on  AM.
Perhaps that is an answer, set up a natter net (on ssb)  to give others a beacon to look out for.

Don't forget to publish times and frequency.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 06:27:23 PM by G8YMW » Logged

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »

For an indicator, I always keep an old CB radio on and squelched.  10 meters can often come alive out of nowhere!  Roll Eyes
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »

Go to DX maps.  Look at the E clouds real-time.  You will know where the clouds are and what frequencies it can support.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »

Not a bad opening this afternoon.
While mobile, I heard Germany, Italy, Austria and Holland at decent strengths, worked DO4DXA near Munich
Gave me 58, gave Mark 59

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »

Opening now, east coast.  www.DXmaps.com
KA5QMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »

I think 10 (and 6) meters are as open here in NA as in Europe, but our European colleagues seem to make more use of those bands. With so many countries close together, they can work a lot of DX.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »

I finished my 5 band WAS today by working ND on 10 meters.  10 was open today pretty good this morning.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: