The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 630 Meter Reception - Start Cheap and Simple  (Read 2027 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »

Can't wait to learn what you're using.

Here's a short write-up and photos of my cheap and simple set-up. Thanks K0OD for your WSPR reports  Smiley

http://ae5x.blogspot.com/2017/10/first-transmissions-on-630-meters-at.html

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 02:18:32 PM »

Maybe you are living on the mother lode of excellent ground conductivity and the loss is in the coil.

From AA2UK:
I thought I'd add that many stations on 630 meters are using active E Probe antennas. They are usually placed anywhere from a few feet off the ground to 30'. I'm learning many of the RF principals we have learned about HF don't apply to LF/MF.

Clarify that Bill as it may be misleading to some.

Carl
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »

Funny how some of the pros here who have never even used an E probe or an active shielded loop can be so positive with their speculation that they don't/won't work well for this application.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:05 PM »

From the descriptions I have seen of "e-probe" antennas, they tend to simply be a shortened vertical with poor ground planes and usually a receiver preamplifier to make up for their poor gain.

The e-probe and h-probe concepts are generally totally misleading as they relate to antennas. Is there really anything new here?...

- Glenn W9IQ

Yes, there's something new. They used to be called "Active Antennas" by the marketing guys until a newer marketing guy came up with "E-Probe."

Maybe I'll start calling my 43' vertical a "Collinearized I Probe." "It enables copying signals you can't even hear with ordinary antennas."

Add 6dB if your 43' aluminum stick is a Zero Five rather than a cheaper brand aluminum stick. (remember the ridiculous performance claims made by ZF users early on)

For us old geezers....

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:29:04 PM by K0OD » Logged
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »

Funny how some of the pros here who have never even used an E probe or an active shielded loop can be so positive with their speculation that they don't/won't work well for this application.

Ive been using a balanced two turn shielded loop made from 1" CATV cable since about 1984. It contains a remotely tuned preamp using PP U-310 Jfets, is about 250' back from any homes, is rotatable and the bottom is about 8' high, diameter is 40" iffn I remember. Covers BCB thru a bit above 160M. It gets used when the Beverages are too noisy.

I should build another for 630M and compare to those same Beverages.

Carl
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: