The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Much STUFF!  (Read 1901 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »

"A good engineer never throws anything away"

Well, whoever said that never lived in a small apartment with a significant other and two cats. The shack/workshop is also the spare bedroom which means that my space is limited, I therefore store surplus stuff in plastic trays in the cellar. Well, last week I initially decided that I needed five more trays as the existing pile were all full.

No

Too much.

I've spent the last week going through everything and sorting out the trash from the good stuff. Today I started taking all of the junk down to the company that handles the trash collection around here as they have special bins for electronic waste. The old DVD players and satellite boxes - gone. Three quarters of my collection of heatsinks and metal boxes - gone. The pile of PCBs that I never stripped down - gone. Each pile of junk made a satisfying clang as I closed the hatch and let it fall beyond recovery.

I'm now using five plastic trays instead of fourteen and I can now find everything. Now all I need to do is cut down on chocolate  Smiley

Peter DL8OV
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »

Been doing the same here during this last week. All the wire and metal stuff went to the local salvage yard who gave me $6.50 for it. Hey, it's lunch money and better than throwing it into the trash bin.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »

"A good engineer never throws anything away"

Well, whoever said that never lived in a small apartment with a significant other and two cats. The shack/workshop is also the spare bedroom which means that my space is limited, I therefore store surplus stuff in plastic trays in the cellar. Well, last week I initially decided that I needed five more trays as the existing pile were all full.

No

Too much.

I've spent the last week going through everything and sorting out the trash from the good stuff. Today I started taking all of the junk down to the company that handles the trash collection around here as they have special bins for electronic waste. The old DVD players and satellite boxes - gone. Three quarters of my collection of heatsinks and metal boxes - gone. The pile of PCBs that I never stripped down - gone. Each pile of junk made a satisfying clang as I closed the hatch and let it fall beyond recovery.

I'm now using five plastic trays instead of fourteen and I can now find everything. Now all I need to do is cut down on chocolate  Smiley

Peter DL8OV

Your right Peter.  It hurts, and I need to throw away more, but your right.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:00:28 PM »

There is a saying; "you can never have too many guns, or too much ham radio stuff"

73s

K2OWK
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »

Most people think the more you have OR the more expensive it is blah blah....  The truth is you can use the most inexpensive rig and a junk mic or CW key and make just as many contacts as someone who doesn't have enough radios or guns.  Don't tell Bob Heil that he already knows it but he doesn't want YOU to know it.  He wants you to buy the several hundred dollar PR40 when a cheap radio shack mic will do just as good.  A homebrew simple dipole works great why BUY one?  MONEY, someone is making money on making you think it will work better IAC antenna is a good example.  We need to stop hoarding and accumulating stuff we don't need.  Keep it simple and get rid/donate your excess gear and teach others about the truth.  We all have Too Much STUFF!!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »

Err, ok?

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »

Peter............I think I'm going to be very, very sick!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:49:54 PM »

I had a 10' by 20' shed with workbenches full of test gear and the rest of the space full of surplus test equipment and rigs in various states of repair, desk, shelves etc.. It all was stolen. That hurt at the time but looking back I miss none of it.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »

All my stuff is stuff.Everyone have a nice day.Wow George I think was a ham..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:14:41 AM »

...you can use the most inexpensive rig and a junk mic or CW key and make just as many contacts as someone who doesn't have enough radios...
Said no one who's run an FT-101 or TS-520 with only the stock SSB filter on a very crowded band.

Interference-reducing features were developed for a reason. Plop one of those two (or any other rig which incorporates a similar receiver feature set) down on the 40M CW sub-band at night during the peak of the cold-war SWBC era and see how fast you get discouraged.

Then do so on a contest weekend.

And let me fire up the Woodpecker while you're trying to make contacts.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »

Ebay it.  I have a ton of stuff, too, but I sold enough last year to buy this...

WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »

What is the difference between "stuff" and "junk?"

The answer:

Stuff is the junk you keep and junk is the stuff you throw out. Wink
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »

Readers should note that I've tried to sell this lot twice, once at my local club and once at a hamfest. After about 2pm at the hamfest I was virtually giving the stuff away and I still came back with half a car full. Ebay therefore isn't a realistic option.

So, today it was the turn of the computer stuff. Old motherboards - gone, old hard drives and CD drives - gone, laptop spares for machines I no longer own - gone, two folders full of data CDs - gone. Two VGA monitors and a load of serial and centronics leads went the same way. Gone.

I should have disposed of about 30 Kg of 'stuff' by the time I finish.

Peter DL8OV
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »

What is the difference between "stuff" and "junk?"

The answer:

Stuff is the junk you keep and junk is the stuff you throw out. Wink

Ha, not bad!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »

Junk is the stuff you throw out, only to have an urgent requirement for it a week later to keep some vital piece of gear operational!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: