The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Noise Levels - How is Yours?  (Read 2604 times)
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

My noise levels are generally S9 on those peak operating hours of 7PM - 11PM local.  However i noticed, on those few times that I get up at 0500 local, that the noise level is much less.  This is in my QTH of North west Baltimore.  I like that phrase "inner suburbs".

On the other hand, I just got back from Cape Cod.  In Dennis, MA the noise levels were very quiet.

I think it would be a worthwhile project to organize a network of noise monitors, sort of like the Reverse Beacon Network, but for RFI.  It would be informative if the noise could be "located", and logged. 

W3TTT Joe
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 07:40:09 AM »

S7 around 40 meters until the local power line kicks up then its S9 to as much as S9+15 dB. It happens mainly in the mornings and late afternoons and evening. Sometimes its pretty much all day but there are days its pretty quiet. Makes DF'ing a hit or miss proposition. Of course my portable SW radio being down doesn't help right now...

Thank goodness my noise blanker in 3 out of 4 radios work well! Wish my Drake had one.

WB0CJB
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 01:21:09 AM »

Blame economic rationalism and privitisation. This is the disease that has spread across the world that has allowed regulatory agencies to walk away from enforcing EMC regulations. 

You can just buy a fraudulent EMC certificate or pay any lab off to do your certification. Governments are  killing off their expertise and employing lobbyists and  PR consultants in  these technical jobs and rather employing  white washing  PR people and eliminating technical roles  in enforcing any standards on industry. The net result is the HF bands are being destroyed by noise on every possible front.

Even moving out to the country side is no guarantee anymore. All it takes is 1 LED light or 1 bad solar inverter and your ham life is misery. Amazing how they expect hams to live  and work within a regulatory framework yet ignore privates industry desire to make money and ignore  regulations. The world has become a shameful place in the name of economic rationalism.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: