The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best Coax To Use  (Read 3282 times)
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »

If you have any other idea's for a straight up vertical that might be better please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Honestly, I have avoided most verticals over the years. I currently have a SteppIR vertical that works on 6-80 meters and does a good job on 15 to 80 meters (6 and 10 not so much). But it is stupid expensive and like most ground mounted verticals it requires a lot of radials. I have about 3600' of them down.

I have SEVERAL friends that use 43' verticals and the ones with remote tuners work really well. The ones using UNUN transformers instead of remote tuners work well on 6 to 40 meters.  Just too much loss on 80 and 160 for the UNUN/Coax fed option.

My 2 cents worth but honestly I don't have enough experience with the verticals to speak intelligently. Except that you might avoid the Comet Smiley
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »

waveguide

And G Line never did live up to the hype.
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »

Here's my situation. I live on a golf course with No HOA's but want to keep as low as a profile as possible. Dipoles are not possible because of lack of room and a wife that doesn't like the look. So the best place is on the side of my home. Which is about 15' from home to fence. i was think of a short mast about 10' but I'm not sure how it would perform being lower than my house. If not a 25' mast may work but it will become more noticeable. I was looking at the MFJ Loop antennas but the reviews aren't all that great. Any idea's would be appreciated.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »

Because you have so many self imposed limitations I would suggest you think about specifically what bands you *really* want.  When faced with compromise solutions, minimizing complication and maximizing potential performance by limiting your antenna to a few or even just one band can vastly simplifiy things.  So rather than anguishing over what coax will net you a half dB improvement over a -18dBd all band wonder vertical, figure out what antenna you can deploy that gets to closer to dipole performance.   

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »

Buy the most expensive and you will feel good regardless of how it works.
Art
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »

Because you have so many self imposed limitations I would suggest you think about specifically what bands you *really* want.  When faced with compromise solutions, minimizing complication and maximizing potential performance by limiting your antenna to a few or even just one band can vastly simplifiy things.  So rather than anguishing over what coax will net you a half dB improvement over a -18dBd all band wonder vertical, figure out what antenna you can deploy that gets to closer to dipole performance.   

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Great point
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »

Buy the most expensive and you will feel good regardless of how it works.
Art

That I doubt, but $$$'s aren't the problem. Maybe I should buy a house with more footprint. LOL
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »

I still think an EFHW wire antenna would be way more stealth than a vertical and your wife would not see it. Get some of the wire from wireman with non shiny black coating.

We bought an acreage and cleared it to build a new house.  I have had a hard time "defacing" it so have ran that wire everywhere. Its hard to see.

KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »

I still think an EFHW wire antenna would be way more stealth than a vertical and your wife would not see it. Get some of the wire from wireman with non shiny black coating.

We bought an acreage and cleared it to build a new house.  I have had a hard time "defacing" it so have ran that wire everywhere. Its hard to see.

Even if I wanted to, these zero lot lines are very small.
KD0ZV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »

Have you seen Caddy Shack?  I bet Bill Murray could hook you up with an explosive antenna system on the course.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:32:24 PM by KD0ZV » Logged
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

Have you see Caddy Shack?  I bet Bill Murray could hook you up with an explosive antenna system on the course.

I bet he could. LOL
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »

If you have any other idea's for a straight up vertical that might be better please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

For just vertical, you will need radial field - otherwise it will not work. For real multi-band you can get ICOM AH-4 tuner and put it at the base of the antenna. It will allow you to work on most bands without much thinking about SWR and tuning. Just press single button on 7300 and you are good to go. If antenna is not located on the ground level, you will need sort of GP type with elevated radials. But you will need tuner anyway.

KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »

The Comet 250B doesn’t require radials as well as others
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »

The Comet 250B doesn’t require radials as well as others

Any monopole antenna requires radials. In case of Comet and alike feed line is the radial - this is not a good approach.
KM6NFF

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »

Well then what are my options with the limited space as indicated earlier.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: