The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m SSB - Amp/Pre or second antenna?  (Read 1568 times)
K7MWJ

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »

In the past several weeks I have joined three others in my area in the beginnings of a VHF club, solely focused on SSB (phone, CW [need to learn], and RTTY). I put up an Cushcraft 148-10S yagi and have really good luck with it. I was able to make a couple phone contacts about 160 miles to the north on 30w.

I feel I could get bigger ears by either adding an amp/preamp (looking at the Mirage B-2518-G) or adding adding an ear with a second 148-10S antenna.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

73s - Mark
K7MWJ
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »

I think you would be better off with the CC 215WB or 13B2 than stacking. Flip the other vertical for FM.

Carl
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »

I think you would be better off with the CC 215WB or 13B2 than stacking. Flip the other vertical for FM.

Carl

I fully agree.

The 10S yagi is small and hasn't much gain.   Use it vertically for FM and install a single larger antenna for weak-signal work.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »

You need a long boom yagi.

I had a 22 foot long KLM for 2meter ssb and a mirage b108 amp/preamp and did great.

The KLM put my Cushcraft Jr Boomer to shame.

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »

Carl

I fully agree.

The 10S yagi is small and hasn't much gain.   Use it vertically for FM and install a single larger antenna for weak-signal work.
I agree your current antenna has little gain at 144.200. I suggest putting up the largest 2 meter Yagi you can. I'm in a restricted community so I am using an M2 2M9SSB it's a decent antenna given it's size. I still recommend using and getting low loss feed line, an external mast mounted LNA as well as the largest amplifier you can afford. In that order.
GL glad to see you're trying to promote local 2 meter activity. It's a great band and Q's out to 350 miles are common.
Don't overlook the digital modes using MSK144 (WSJTX) I routinely work up to 1000 miles daily.
73, Bill
AA2UK
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

Considering your location, you're probably running out of good weather for antenna work.  But I think you'll see the largest return on investment with a long boom yagi like a Directive Systems K1FO or other brand.  I'd also look at low loss transmission line such as Heliax, and a mast mounted preamp.  The preamp used in the Mirage amplifier is borderline, and mostly just raises the noise floor.

....and if you decide to use your present yagi for FM (is it broadbanded enough?), you dont want a metallic mast to pass through the elements.  Mounting off to the side on an H frame is the way to go.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:22:29 PM by K3GM » Logged
N3JDR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »

If you are serious about weak signal VHF/UHF, BOTH!
Pretty hard to go wrong with M2 or InnovAntenna.
Advanced Receiver Research (AR2), SSB electronics and SHFelectronik make good preamps.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »

If you are serious about weak signal VHF/UHF, BOTH!
Pretty hard to go wrong with M2 or InnovAntenna.
Advanced Receiver Research (AR2), SSB electronics and SHFelectronik make good preamps.
Hello Bill, I agree with your choice of performance products for VHF/ UHF.
Bill, AA2UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: