The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTDX 5000 or IC 7610  (Read 1474 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »

want to upgrade HF so the question is get the ftdx 5000 or wait for IC 7610
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »

want to upgrade HF so the question is get the ftdx 5000 or wait for IC 7610

That depends, do you want tried and true Superhet  or do you want direct conversion today's radio?   Yesterdays great radio, or today's probably great radio.  We need to get our hands on one. I have the IC7300.  It IS a great radio. especially for $1249.  I suspect the 7610 will be worth the money, somewhere north of $3K.  If it was me, and you sort of asked, I would wait. 
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »

My personal opinion... go for the IC-7610, if you can stand the wait. 

The FTDX-5000 is a fine rig, but still quite expensive and also quite dated - no built-in USB sound card, for instance, and still some lingering display problems.  The IC-7610 is still unproven, but if its performance is as surprisingly good in its class as the IC-7300 was in entry level, then it is worth waiting for.

Brian - K6BRN
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

Universal Radio tells me Icom has suggested the radio will become available mid November of 2017.........  https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0610.html

All I know is that I jumped all over an IC-756 when they were first released as it was light years ahead of everything else on the market in terms of the band display and user amenities.  Never regretted the purchase although a relay in the bandpass filter failed within the first month and it's from the first batch with chronic display issues.  The relay was replaced under warranty and the display is still OK, but if I had it to do again I'd be tempted to wait until the Version 2.0 model.

Whenever a new & exciting 'anything' comes along it's hard to imagine there will be a better model in the future, but there will be.  One potential advantage of SDR radio is the possibility of incremental model upgrades in firmware...  Which is both an engineering and marketing decision.  Some manufacturers release only bug fixes while others may allow feature and performance improvements.  In practice the manufacturer wants you to be happy enough to consider buying another radio from them, but not so happy that you never feel the need to replace yours.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »

Universal Radio tells me Icom has suggested the radio will become available mid November of 2017.........  https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0610.html

All I know is that I jumped all over an IC-756 when they were first released as it was light years ahead of everything else on the market in terms of the band display and user amenities.  Never regretted the purchase although a relay in the bandpass filter failed within the first month and it's from the first batch with chronic display issues.  The relay was replaced under warranty and the display is still OK, but if I had it to do again I'd be tempted to wait until the Version 2.0 model.

Whenever a new & exciting 'anything' comes along it's hard to imagine there will be a better model in the future, but there will be.  One potential advantage of SDR radio is the possibility of incremental model upgrades in firmware...  Which is both an engineering and marketing decision.  Some manufacturers release only bug fixes while others may allow feature and performance improvements.  In practice the manufacturer wants you to be happy enough to consider buying another radio from them, but not so happy that you never feel the need to replace yours.

I found it almost incredible that ICOM released an upgrade for the long in the tooth IC7600 to add a waterfall.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »

I'll bet the IC-7600 owners were happy.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 03:39:58 AM »

I'll bet the IC-7600 owners were happy.

I bet they were.  I am still waiting for them to issue an update for my 756pro3.  I might have a long wait.   Grin
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »

If it were me, I'd wait for the Icom IC-7610. That particular Yaesu model (Yaesu FTDX-5000) is getting old. I'm a Yaesu fan, but I think I'd go with the Icom in this situation.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »

FT-5000 is around and for a reasonable price given its qualities. That is, lots of knobs, second receiver, good size, and built in power supply. If FT-5000 is a follower of FT1000 D or MP, the latter always sounded good.

IC-7610 is unobtainum at this time. If available. not sure it has a real second receive or just a dual watch (two receivers into single audio stream), fewer knobs and no power supply.

If you plan on living a long life, wait for IC7610 to appear, and to have its bugs sorted out. Otherwise FT-5000 is not a bad choice. FT-5000 users on eham seem to be pretty happy.

Ignacy, NO9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: