The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for my first amp.  (Read 3933 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »

I'll agree with CHY. The 80B is a very forgiving amp, easy to operate and fairly cheap. It will work into 3:1 with diminished output. As others have said even with a tuner, the voltages at the feedline and antenna with high SWR will become very high, not a good situation. Better to have decent antennas to feed. I made all my antennas near 50Ω so I don't have to worry about a tuner. But one must always check before socking it with power anyhow. But if you need SS that's OK too.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »

OK.  Pull the trigger on the ALS 600S this morning.  Meter, ARI-500, LDG 600 Pro II, Cable for the Icom,  2 other cables for both the KW 590 and the 7300. 

John
KB4OIF
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »

OK.  Pull the trigger on the ALS 600S this morning.  Meter, ARI-500, LDG 600 Pro II, Cable for the Icom,  2 other cables for both the KW 590 and the 7300. 

John
KB4OIF

Is there time to cancel the LDG 600 tuner purchase?
As an LDG owner, I can tell you that if you want to run 500 watts of Amplifier, you want a 1 KW tuner.
When the tuner is matching a high SWR, the surplus power and heat is dissipated both in the tuner and
in your coax cable.   Short summary;  If you really run 500 or 600 watts into an LDG 600 model tuner,
you will cook it.   I use an Elecraft KPA-500 amp and an LDG 1000 Pro II tuner.
Also, FYI, the LDG meter option for my tuner model# provides very nice visual feedback (relative) but
is approx. 20% inaccurate, and according to the vendor, no mechanical, electrical, or firmware option
for re-calibrating, other than "full scale" needle adjustment :-)    Still, I like the tuner.

Order a tuner that gives you some headroom so it will last and not cook.

FYI

Neal
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

Will run 300 to 400 watts till I can get used to using an amp.  Never had or used one before.  Should be ok, I believe.   I may get the 1000 proII as well.  I have a hamfest here locally coming up in a few months where I can sell the 600 pro II. 

John
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »

There are few things I would not agree with many on this thread:

1. Suggesting to buy high power amplifier right away. Keep in mind that any amplifier that has more than 800W will need 240 volts power line to work safely. Not everyone want to invest up to a $1000 just to have that power line installed (I mean actual rates of electricians here - I had to install one for electric washer/drier).

I have been hamming for 57 years and a 240 volt line to the station has never cost over $50 in current dollars. I have never heard of a city or municipality requiring permit to do this. I check with my State Farm agent and ask him if running a new line  would void the home owners insurance and he said no. No more so than frying chicken with out a fire extinguisher.

Huh

In my city any alteration of electrical requires a permit. And per the 2016 California Electrical Code (which adopts 2014 NEC) circuit modifications/additions require the dreaded RFI sensitive AFCI breakers.

Tell me again how I can install a new 240V receptacle for $50?

Jim K6JH
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »

Just do it.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »

1. Suggesting to buy high power amplifier right away. Keep in mind that any amplifier that has more than 800W will need 240 volts power line to work safely. Not everyone want to invest up to a $1000 just to have that power line installed (I mean actual rates of electricians here - I had to install one for electric washer/drier).

I have been hamming for 57 years and a 240 volt line to the station has never cost over $50 in current dollars. I have never heard of a city or municipality requiring permit to do this. I check with my State Farm agent and ask him if running a new line  would void the home owners insurance and he said no. No more so than frying chicken with out a fire extinguisher.

Huh

In my city any alteration of electrical requires a permit. And per the 2016 California Electrical Code (which adopts 2014 NEC) circuit modifications/additions require the dreaded RFI sensitive AFCI breakers.

I added my own 240 volt branch circuit for my amplifier in the garage.  Had to buy a dual-breaker, EMT conduit, fittings,
copper wire (Red, Black, White, Green - approx 50 foot run), junction box, 240 volt twist lock outlet, steel cover plate.
That's a LOT more than $50 my friend.  Maybe you had ALL of the above in your spare parts cabinet already?
The twist-lock 240 volt outlets and/or plugs are ~$15 each at Home Depot.  The wire alone eats up your $50.

I was fortunate enough to already have the EMT conduit bender tools and the wire pulling "fish" tape.
The only way you did it for $50 is if you already had a breaker panel next to your operating position and
you simply added the outlet box and outlet right there, and already had the spare dual-breaker inside your panel :-)

I know a thing or two, since I've seen a thing or two.  I replaced my own meter and breaker panel on this home,
and worked with Edison and the City Inspector myself.  Simple.   They liked my work.  I've had 40 years practice.

Cheers
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 04:38:16 AM »

Huh

Now you know why your property taxes are high, that's the process where the government protects you from yourself.
I agree $50 seems low......
73, AA2UK
Bill
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:32 AM »

Huh

That is why I left California. Excessive government and taxes.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 02:50:20 AM »

OK. got everything set up and checked the SWR 1.5.  Amp is only doing 50 watts.   It's keying because the Green light comes on.  M-600 meter is only showing 50 watts.  Will call them Monday to see what's next.  Bummed out for sure.

John
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »

Make a note that ARC circuit breakers detect the RF portion of a bad connection or the physical arc. When used with high power amplifier feed, the breaker can trip every time you produce a carrier. I have had to wind several turns through a number 43 mix 2.5 inch toroid to prevent this from happening.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 06:16:30 AM »

Make a note that ARC circuit breakers detect the RF portion of a bad connection or the physical arc. When used with high power amplifier feed, the breaker can trip every time you produce a carrier. I have had to wind several turns through a number 43 mix 2.5 inch toroid to prevent this from happening.

This only points to insufficiently power line filtering in your amplifier, or antenna being too close to house for the power level you are using. Both are not really the faults of a breaker device.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Today at 02:29:21 AM »

OK.  It was operator error.  Had a cable in the wrong place on the ARI-500.  Called ameritron and they had me up and running in about 5 minutes.  Working great now. 

KB4OIF
John
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Today at 04:04:29 AM »

Glad you're up and running John. 

Not to stray from the OP's basic query, but Mike K6AER brings up a great point on California, its stifling regulations, and taxes.  However, California is far down the list in terms of real estate property tax rates, although it's generally perceived otherwise.  See link below.  New Jersey leads the nation with the highest real estate property taxes followed by Illinois.  Illinois adds insults to injury by having anywhere from a 9.0% to 10.0% sales tax, and it's worse-off fiscally and budget-wise than any other state in the nation.  Illinois is effectively bankrupt, thanks to Chicago-area liberal politicians and its ridiculous state retiree pension system.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/

Don W9CW
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: