The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I "skip" JT-65?  (Read 740 times)
W3UEC

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »

I am a relatively casual ham operator. First licensed in 1955, I was QRT for more than 60 years. When I returned, I felt most comfortable with CW and got DXCC, WAS etc. Also casual operation on VHF/UHF repeaters. Buddy suggested PSK and I geared up and tried it. Not bad. Then he suggested JT-65 -- so much better!  I downloaded software but never got around to trying OTA.  Now several are saying, " Go JT-8" They imply it will restore my youthful vigor (or at least grow some hair).

Should I skip JT-65 and go directly to JT-8 or is there  yet another miracle mode lurking around the corner?

TNX es 73 de W3UEC (Steve)
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »

The WSJT software has both FT8 and JT65/9 built in so very easy to toggle back and forth.  No question most (and I really mean most) of the digital activity has now moved to FT8.  That's where I'd focus.  Here's the PSK Reporter stats by mode over the last few hours:

Mode Count
FT8   553734
JT65   21347
CW   6858
PSK63 2359
PSK31 1840
SIM31 995
RTTY   429
JT9   343
QPSK31 189
MSK144 105
OPERA 93
ROS   78
VARA 48
SSB   45
OLIVIA   37
PSK125   34
PI4   7
T10   4
JTMS   1

As far as the hair let me know what works for you.  I need help there too.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »

While there is still some JT65 and a little JT9 activity.  And I do mean little, everyone is over on FT8.  I guess we can dream about the hair restoration, but I have been on FT8 the day it was released to the public, and to be brutally honest, I don't see any improvement on my follicly challenged head.

There is still a little JT65 especially on 40 meters, but not too much.  Nothing like the FT8 activity.  It is all about time.  Why take nearly 5 minutes to complete a contact when you can usually do it in a little over a minute on FT8 and move on to the next needed entity.

I still sometimes ask users to go over to JT9 when conditions are very marginal as JT9 offers about 2dB more sensitivity than FT8.  I have completed several wanted entities working to 5 band WAS that way.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »

Then he suggested JT-65 -- so much better!  I downloaded software but never got around to trying OTA.  Now several are saying, " Go JT-8" They imply it will restore my youthful vigor (or at least grow some hair).

Should I skip JT-65 and go directly to JT-8 or is there  yet another miracle mode lurking around the corner?

Use whatever works, and/or is available when on the air. FT8 is the 'sexiest' mode at the moment. Don't ignore JT9, mostly the case these days, it offers a little better sensitivity compared to JT65.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »

Then he suggested JT-65 -- so much better!  I downloaded software but never got around to trying OTA.  Now several are saying, " Go JT-8" They imply it will restore my youthful vigor (or at least grow some hair).

Should I skip JT-65 and go directly to JT-8 or is there  yet another miracle mode lurking around the corner?

Use whatever works, and/or is available when on the air. FT8 is the 'sexiest' mode at the moment. Don't ignore JT9, mostly the case these days, it offers a little better sensitivity compared to JT65.
Did you mean JT9 offers better sensitivity over FT8?
Bill, AA2UK
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »

As K0YQ Stated "The WSJT software has both FT8 and JT65/9 built in so very easy to toggle back and forth".

However, I believe FT8 will be the king...Fast...I decode at -24dB...This is very close to JT 65, and 4 X Faster...

I don't use any more JT 65 or JT 9, only FT8...

Cheers, see you on the band..

NN2X, TOM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: