The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT8 - Why am I always getting asked for repeats?  (Read 878 times)
KD7HNN

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »

I'm constantly getting asked for repeats from stations who have a strong signal. Our timing seems to be right on yet for some reason sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to get my message through. Sometimes I even get their 73 or their signal report message again after i'm already in QSO with someone else. Maybe it's propagation and my signal isn't as clear to them as it seems on my end. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong and causing unwanted QRM.
NT6X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »

Could be propagation. Although I've found that while people are just learning this new mode, many times they get lazy using Auto SEQ. They just set it and forget it and don't pay attention. Auto Seq is great when you have a constant string of callers with good signals. The QSO process is seamless and smooth. However, if the CQing station ends the QSO with RR73, your software will sometimes puke and resend your initial calling macro which confuses everyone. Even though your using Auto Seq, you still have to pay attention to whats going on and be ready to click a particular message manually to complete the QSO and avoid a string of repeats.

I tend to use RR73 all the time, and if the other station pukes and sends me their calling macro again, I'll just send 73 since I know that our signal reports have been exchanged and copied. Sometimes I'll send RRR after their report to me if they sound like a good op and won't RRR my RRR. That's a total waste of time and bandwidth.

A common misconception i've read on the internet is peoples interpretation of "R-15" reply which sometimes also causes unnecessary repeats. Some think that the R means RECEIVE, as in "your being received at -15", and they'll send it even though they never copied my report to them. The R means ROGER. As in "Roger, I copied your report, your -15". Those that don't understand this might not get a QSO because they never got your report but they made it sound like they did and the other station thinks you got it and will send you a 73 and move on. If someone sends me "R-15" I take that as I copied your report and your report from me is -15. If they didn't copy my report I would expect to see their calling macro (NT6X de K7XXX CN72) again as it wouldn't make sense for them to send me a report if they didn't get my acknowledgement and report first.

Again, people just have to pay attention to the flow of the QSO and be prepared to click the appropriate macro to complete the QSO even if they're using Auto Seq.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:30:37 PM by NT6X » Logged
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »

Well what are the reports on your signal are you getting back? That's the only way you'll know the SINR the other guy is dealing with.
Receiving reports (73) late can be the volume sheer volume across the bandwidth or your computers close to maxing out it's ability to process a high number of FT8 signals.
More information is needed to try and get you a more accurate answer......
Bill, AA2UK
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »

Happens to me sometimes but I attribute it to propagation. It's a bit frustrating but I run 5-10 watts. If I ran much higher I'm fairly sure I'd see it happen less.

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »

I'm constantly getting asked for repeats from stations who have a strong signal. Our timing seems to be right on yet for some reason sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to get my message through. Sometimes I even get their 73 or their signal report message again after i'm already in QSO with someone else. Maybe it's propagation and my signal isn't as clear to them as it seems on my end. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong and causing unwanted QRM.

Skip a cycle, and see if another station is using the same frequency.

Propagation is certainly a possibility. He may have received you at a good level during one cycle, but conditions could have changed after that. Also, he may not be receiving you at all now, but still sending (repeating) the good report from the beginning. That can be confusing.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »

Is your signal clean and not overdriven?  Check by making sure there is no ALC indication, and adjust your audio drive down until the RF power just starts to fall off.  You can stop there. Many people seem to think that the more audio you run the better you will be heard, but I see an awful lot of really "dirty" signals and just the opposite is true.. Once you learn what to look for on these harmonics, you can usually tell who it is pretty quick. i have helped several guys get their rigs adjusted.  They never knew what they were doing to the rest of the band. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: