The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Crosstalk - Multiple Antennas VHF/UHF Mobile Rover  (Read 415 times)
VE6MB

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »

Re: Antenna Crosstalk - Multiple Antennas and the VHF/UHF Mobile Rover

I recently read of a situation regarding the above scenario where the author was talking about damage to his Yaesu FT-857D radio by way of RF on one band (ie. 2m) and unintended cross-talk (coupling)  on another band -- perhaps 6m and RF entering his radio. This had me thinking....I've often wondered about these issues with multiple antennas. However, the author of this story indicated that they found a solution by running multiple bands on the same (LMR600) coax and utilizing coax relays to disconnect the other bands that were not in use. I suspect the main issue in the author's case is that on a rover station you are dealing with multiple antennas and less-than-ideal antenna spacing.

I do work VHF/UHF contests, never as a rover....but I usually go mobile and set up on a mountain peak somewhere. I usually utilize multiple antennas on the same mast, although I try to space them out so that they are at least 1/2 wavelength away from each other -- no one antenna is in the aperture of another. I am usually in the Low Power Class (therefore power levels are 200W max on 6m/2m, 100W max on 222/440Mhz, 50W or less on the rest).

Would you expect to have much of a cross-talk problem in this case?  In addition, in my case, where I have been feeding multiple antennas with one coax (6m, 2m, 70cm).....wouldn't the diplexers/duplexers that I'm using, provide additional isolation to prevent this issue?

Thoughts?

Valentino, VE6MB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: