The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resale price of an IC-7800  (Read 1708 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »

A friend in the early stages of Alzheimers has asked me to find out what his rig is worth these days. It is cosmetically a non smoking 10, has all the latest upgrades, and works as new.

I'll likely get an IC-7300 for him which appears to be the best selling radio on the planet and about as simple as it gets.

Carl
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »

Here is my observation with persons with dementia.  They can often still operate things from their past, but cannot learn ANYthing new.  Not a thing.  It goes in one ear and out the other before you get done explaining it to them.  It is like they are children that never learn. They are somewhat childlike with all that entails, but they are going backward in time, and never improve in any way. If you get him a new rig, he may never be able to learn enough to operate it.  Yet he may still be able to operate his current rig.   I am not a healthcare professional, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night.,  But I do live with a person with dementia moving into alzheimer's every day.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

That is a good question Carl.  Because that radio was so expensive new and now that it is used and competing with radios like the IC-7300 that cost way less, you may have a hard time selling it for top dollar whatever that is.  Put it out there for sale start high and see if you get some bites, if you don't lower your price until you do.  The Icom 718 still sells pretty good on the used market around 475 give or take and new it's around 600 I think.  You might be surprised good luck and I'm sorry it's under these circumstances that you are asking this.       
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:50 AM »

There are 21 IC-7800’s listed on eHam classifieds.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »

Here is my observation with persons with dementia.  They can often still operate things from their past, but cannot learn ANYthing new.  Not a thing.  It goes in one ear and out the other before you get done explaining it to them.  

My mom had this before she died last year.  It's as if her mind was like a tape recorder with a broken record function.  She remembered stuff when she was a kid, but not what I told her a few minutes ago.  So it's probably best that he have a radio he was familiar with before his record function went bad.  

I'd hide soldering irons and such though.  "If you want to build something, I can help you do it"...
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »

Carl just asked the resale price of an IC-7800 added a few details about why he is selling it and now everyone is a Doctor.  If he wanted to know what all of us think about Doctor stuff he would not have posted on E-Ham.  It's about the Resale price of an IC-7800.   
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »

Carl just asked the resale price of an IC-7800 added a few details about why he is selling it and now everyone is a Doctor.  If he wanted to know what all of us think about Doctor stuff he would not have posted on E-Ham.  It's about the Resale price of an IC-7800.   

A little testy there plank?

So, are you trying out for the thread police or something, lighten up.

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »

If you want to sale it, under $1k. What ever the buyer is willing to pay. These old high end radios don't hold the value they use too.....

of course, the absolute best place to sale is ebay. then you have all the problems related to selling it there...
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »

I called HRO a few minutes ago and they say it is worth $3K absolute tops on a trade in and they have seen them go for less on the used gear benches.

The newest version, the IC 7851, is light years ahead of it in performance in several areas according to the salesman. They sell for $12,499 with free shipping and they cost $12K. There isnt much profit on high end gear as there is in the auto market Roll Eyes
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »

Man that is sad to see, what would the 7851 for 12K new be worth 5 years from now?  Seems like it's the radios around 1500 or less that keep their value, like I said before the Icom 718 is selling pretty good around 475.00 when you can buy one new for around 600.00 to me that's 125.00 well spent to get a new one with warranty.  If the used 12K rigs held the resale value like the 718 does they should be around 9000.00 used but I guess they are not according to the posts I read.  Sorry to hear that and good luck in the selling the 7800.   
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 01:44:53 AM »

Why are you so obsessed with the IC-718?  That radio is very, very dated, and has performance numbers that are pretty sucky by today's standards.  Perhaps it has something to do with that diode that you and The Captain know so well?  The biggest joke is your comparison of the 718 with the 7300. 

The only reason that thing even exists today is that it's a cheap way for good buddies to realize their freeband dreams with the likes of The Plank and The CB Captain.

Sheesh, move on.
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »

I have no idea how they sell enough of those high dollar radios to even be slightly profitable.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »

Lots are sold worldwide.  Much of the "less civilized" world uses gear like this with impunity....hence the removable diodes, which CBers/The Captain in the U.S. think is just for them.  I've seen many places in the Far East that sell Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood products with no hint of "amateur", "ham radio" marketing at all.

Many people in China walk around with Wouxuns, etc...."dual band" of course, like they'd even have a clue (or care) where that comes from.

K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 05:14:53 AM »

I've seen some IC-7800's sold for $4000 in the past year.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »

Completed sales on eBay in the last couple of months go from $3250 to $4500.  Subtract 10% for eBay and PayPal fees.

So, would seem $4000 is about tops.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: