The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile installation in Kia Soul with roof rack, no holes allowed.  (Read 1552 times)
W3TTT

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »

I just purchased an FT 891 and want to mount it in "my wife's" Kia Soul.  It is "my wife's" because she drives it.  However, I get the joy of paying for it.

So, since the car belongs to the XYL, I may not drill holes.  I do have a roof rack where I can mount.
The hatchback really does not have any place to put an antenna clamp. 
  Any advice?

The last time that I installed a mobile antenna was in my Oldsmobile Intrigue. I drilled a half inch hole in the top of the car.  Worked great.  Car is gone.

Thanks
W3TTT
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »

Hood edge mount...

Friend of mine had a Kia Soul and that's how his antenna was mounted.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:57:11 AM »

My solution for the past few "wife's car" HF installations is to create a setup that only gets put in for trips.  That way you get QRM for that "stupid antenna" just a few times a year.  The only full time installation is the V/U dual bander.  So the cables are in place but out of sight, then when it's time to go the antenna gets screwed on, control head slid into the dash, plug it in and off we go.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »

I found a gap in my RAV4's back door trim that was large enough for an RG58 cable to slip through and mounted a mirror-mount antenna mount to the roof rack. No holes in the car and very sturdy. That might be an option with the Kia.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »

You said the Kia Soul has a roof rack?  That's another place to mount an antenna without drilling holes.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »

You mean a 2m/440 antenna?  Or one for HF?  Big difference!

I've got an HF antenna on my older Soul on a homebrewed mount bolted to a tow hook under the car:
  http://people.duke.edu/~kuzen001/2015soultowhook604.JPG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: