The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good external speaker for Yaesu FT-450D?  (Read 1218 times)
KE2KB

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »

Hi;
I normally use my stereo headphones with my FT-450D, but sometimes I just like to have the sound playing in the shack. The internal speaker isn't terrible, but I am sure I could do much better with a decent speaker.
Any recommendations for $50 or under?

Thanks
Frank
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »

Bookshelf stereo speakers.  They give a full sound to any radio I've tried them with and while not "matching", look nice on the radio desk.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »

Bookshelf stereo speakers.  They give a full sound to any radio I've tried them with and while not "matching", look nice on the radio desk.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Any particular models come to mind? I don't own a pair, but I'm sure I can buy them cheap on Ebay.
W8WMM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »

Don't laugh, but Radio Shack used to sell a speaker called "Minimus 7" (in pairs). Heavy black metal case, perforated grille, about 6x4x4". They sounded amazing for their size and were dang near bullet proof. They don't have internal amps, but a small audio amp would drive them nicely. You might find a pair on Ebay or elsewhere. If you do, I'd buy one of them, if the price was right.

http://www.retrothing.com/2011/06/minimus-speaker.html
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:40:36 PM »

Don't laugh, but Radio Shack used to sell a speaker called "Minimus 7" (in pairs). Heavy black metal case, perforated grille, about 6x4x4". They sounded amazing for their size and were dang near bullet proof. They don't have internal amps, but a small audio amp would drive them nicely. You might find a pair on Ebay or elsewhere. If you do, I'd buy one of them, if the price was right.

I had a pair of those, but I gave them to my brother. I'll ask him if he is still using them.
KC3RN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:04:21 AM »

I use a KLH 9900.  It's actually a satellite speaker for a surround sound system.  Picked it up at a hamfest for $5.00, and it sounds great.  It's very similar to a bookshelf speaker, with a 4" woofer and 2" tweeter.

I've had good luck in the past with Parts Express.  They have a really nice selection of bookshelf units.  https://www.parts-express.com/

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 03:49:27 AM »

I have a few different ones.  A pair of the minimus 7's ICK mentions, and two pair that are branded "RCA" that look very similar, models 40-5000 and 40-5002.  The '5000's are black and look good standing vertical next to my Icom HF rigs, and on the shelf above where the V/U rigs and tuner are, they're laid horizontal and fit perfectly there.  I put low profile adhesive feet on them to keep them from sliding around.   These all have metal enclosures which gives them a pretty good "heft" and so tend to stay in place.  I've tried a few computer speakers and some work OK but usually aren't a form factor or appearance I like.

Coincidentally, these popped up in a search:

http://www.eham.net/articles/9679
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1327

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »

Totally agree. I love these gems.
W8WMM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »

Related question... Does an external speaker for the 450D need to be powered? In other words, is the output jack on the back of the xcvr audio line out or 4-8 ohm speaker out?
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »

Related question... Does an external speaker for the 450D need to be powered? In other words, is the output jack on the back of the xcvr audio line out or 4-8 ohm speaker out?
The speaker jack (3.5mm mono) on the RP is 4-16 ohms (8 ohms nominal).
After reading your reply, I checked it out. This rear-panel speaker output jack is NOT at all the same as the front-panel headphone jack.
First, the RP one provides a much higher level of audio, so it should work very well with an un-amplified external speaker that is 8 ohms.
Second; the audio clarity that comes from that RP jack is so much clearer than that which comes from the FP jack. I guess it is not processed the way the FP audio is.
However; a very minor issue: If you want to use the RP jack for headphones, you will only get sound in one channel (left). If you want sound in both ears, you will need a mono to stereo adapter (3.5mm/1/8").
Also beware that the sound you hear when you press a button on the FT-450D is much louder, and cannot be lowered by the FP audio level control.

I like the sound quality that I get using an old pair of Sony MDR-V600 headphones when plugged into the RP jack with the mono to stereo adapter.
Also, I was concerned about using the MDR-V600 phones plugged into the FP jack because the cord is so heavy, and that might eventually cause damage to the 3.5mm jack. But if the heavy cord is running to the rear of the radio, it is resting on the desk, and not hanging like it does at the FP jack.

Back to the subject I posted on;
I gave those RS Optimus speakers to my brother, and he is still using them. I don't want to ask him for them back, so I will find an alternate.
Until then, I like the large headphones. While I cannot hear the radio from across the room, I don't have to unplug the other (smaller) pair of headphones from my computer in order to listen to the radio. But I am sure that with the info provided here I can find a speaker I will like. I would also like to use this speaker while I have the radio in my car, as I really don't like connecting my radios to my car's stereo system. Too many loud and bassy pops and clicks.
W8WMM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »

Thanks for the info on the jacks. Very helpful. (Guilty of not checking the manual myself  Embarrassed
Ebay is loaded with Minimus 7s, although some prices are pipe-dreams. I thought I would try to pick up a single, but I just made plans for adding a 2m radio (FT-2980R) to my shack, so I will need two of them (the other for the 450D). Glad to see that these are still available, even if only used.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

+1. 

Try the local thrift shop -- you only need one, since the FT-450 has mono speaker output.

Radio Shack speakers, in a wooden cabinet, will work OK.  Find something with a 4" woofer, or larger.

.      Charles
W8WMM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »

I got outbid on Ebay on several Minimus 7's, so I went with this:

https://www.altex.com/MG-Electronics-IndoorOutdoor-3-Way-Mini-Speaker-Black-SB-200-P141245.aspx

Looks like it will do the job.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »

I have not an FT-450D but I use a Drake R8 receiver. I found the Visaton M10 Cone Midrange (in my case a 4ohm version) be perfect for SSB and CW (has a linear response from 1,000 to 5,000hz). Intelligibility at low volume is improved. The nice thing is the closed back frame design that eliminates the need for a housing! Literally plug and play. It costs about 20$.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »

No two people have quite the same ears, plus which, no amateur radio transceiver has audiophile-quality output from the receiver.  Go with whatever sounds acceptable, and if you have the opportunity to borrow an external speaker from a friend, try it and see if you like it better.  I've always used the stock speakers in my radios when not using headphones.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: