The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The value of "Elmers"...my story  (Read 473 times)
WD0EGC

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:24:10 PM »

26 years ago, my ham station went into a box in the garage (HW-8), and a box in the basement (Tempo 2020).  The HW-8 fired right up a month or two ago, but the '2020 had some issues.  One "Elmer" on the Tempo 2020 Yahoo Group helped me get a replacement power cord (almost impossible to find),  another "Elmer" in my local club repaired the unit (mostly corroded contacts, nothing serious), and another sold me an adapter so I could use a replacement microphone.

So, after 26 years, the old shack is fully back on the air, as it was before, I could never have done it myself. 

That is the value of "Elmers" to me, the last couple months.  So, to all of you who help new hams, or inactive hams like me....thanks.   

R. Jay

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »

I'd like to take this opportunity to once again point out that "Elmers" doesn't necessarily mean the old guy helping the younger guy (most of the time "newbies.")

Elmers are also needed and appreciated by the older ham being helped by the younger hams.  Many of us older hams no longer can do the things we used to do as a matter of course.

My greatest experience in my 62 years as a ham was the time I spent helping 3 elderly hams with their stations.....doing things they simply no longer were able to do.

That included tower work, pulling cables through attics and raising masts and the like.....and introducing them to the new technology that many have a difficult time comprehending. 

I got my introduction to satellite operation and computers because one of the elderly hams wanted to work the birds and needed Kepilerian (?) elements printed out.....using a computer he simply couldn't use. Neither could I but I was able to learn!

So be an Elmer and don't always assume it's a one way street.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: