The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to alleviate new washer interference on 17M?  (Read 3544 times)
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

I have 20db over S9, washing machine noise that is strongest on 80M. It's a Maytag washer with the 3-phase motor. In the beginning I had NO idea where the RF interference was coming from. So, I homebrewed a hand held 80M Directional Finder (w/loop & whip antennas). My hand held DF directed me to the house (my shack is in the back yard in another building) and I found the washing machine was the source. Not only that discovery, but the noise followed the power line into the house.
I think it needs an AC power line filter to the washer, as WB4SPT has mentioned, but just don't have the time yet to try it.
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
VA3BRR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »

Now I get why many hams at swap meets have the appearance they have.  They have fixed the washing machine RFI problem, by just not using it.  :p
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »

flame suit on

not need as far as i am concerned , its pointless to drag people off the street and make them get a Tech license only to run them off with a washing machine.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »

Then there is the warranty....which will be voided if any mods are made.

I still think it's time to rattle the manufacturer's cage. 
Grin Yes we wouldn't want to void the manufacturers warranty to 10 years of 20 over S9 RFI. Think of the kaos that would cause.
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsTnSIO9Log

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »

Shielding and filtering are the solutions, but since it is new, I would let Sears have the first try at fixing it.  Washing machines are not supposed to transmit RF signals.
73s.

-Mike.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »

Would nudity solve the problem?

Washing machine cycles have doubled because we lead such dirty lives.  Wink

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »

I read of one case of a lady was doing the washing in her basement and on the spur of the moment decided to wash the clothes she was wearing.  So being home alone, she stripped and fed her clothes to the washing machine.

However, while doing this the overhead cold water pipe was dripping condensate on her head so she look around and found her son's football helmet and put it on.

A minute for so later she feel "eyes on her" and turned around and found the gas man reading her gas meter.  He looked at her and said, "I don't know what team you're playing for lady but I hope you win!"
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: