The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Configuring FLDIGI and WSJT-X to and FT-480HX ?  (Read 1185 times)
AC9RN

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

Configuring FLDIGI and WSJT-X to  and FT-480HX ?

Wondering if anyone has experience they'd love to share with a complete digital modes neophyte? 

I've been lurking / poking around in this forum for a few days, and there's a lot I need to learn!

Lenny, AC9RN (Formerly KB2NYA)
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

Here is a detailed tutorial on setting up fldigi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKZapCXJdAw possibly all you need is in this. You might have to try the different offerings for rig control but note that when setting up the rig control you have to select a box at the top, then hit "initialize" and watch if the box stays selected, then hit "save". fldigi is a little primitive in some respects but it does a lot for you including logging.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »

Spent a few hours trying to get it set up, messing with FLrig, rigCAT, Hamlib - Ugh!
I will not be defeated !! 

AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »

I've been banging my head against the wall - I have ben trying to get fldigi to work on my FT-480HX, going direct from computer to the rig with a usb/db9 cable with no joy. 

Ugh!!!

KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »

I've been banging my head against the wall - I have ben trying to get fldigi to work on my FT-480HX, going direct from computer to the rig with a usb/db9 cable with no joy. 

Ugh!!!

is your radio a Kenwood "TS" 480HX, or a Yaesu "FT"??

what computer?
what processor?
what OS?
does the computer have a RS-232 port? which com did you assign? what port speed did you select?
does that speed match the speed you set in the radios settings?
are you using a straight through cable or a null modem cable?

I am running WSJT-X on my Kenwood TS-480HX and can help...

Ray
AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »

Lol  - TS-480HX -
Laptop is an HP with an I7

Desktop I will probably use is a Dell, with an I5 processor I believe

Both on Windows 10

No RS-232 ports, trying to go through a USB to DB9 cable.  I have 2 cables, one from RT systems, (for programming the 480) and one off of Amazon, with a Prolific if I reall -

Radio speed is 9600, so I set things to match, with 8 bits an 1 stop bit, no parity. 

One of the stumps I hit what com port? 

Trying to get Panadapter to work tonight - Having two computers is helpful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »

Lol  - TS-480HX -
Laptop is an HP with an I7

Desktop I will probably use is a Dell, with an I5 processor I believe

Both on Windows 10

No RS-232 ports, trying to go through a USB to DB9 cable.  I have 2 cables, one from RT systems, (for programming the 480) and one off of Amazon, with a Prolific if I reall -

Radio speed is 9600, so I set things to match, with 8 bits an 1 stop bit, no parity. 

One of the stumps I hit what com port? 

Trying to get Panadapter to work tonight - Having two computers is helpful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

go to control panel, devices, com ports.
see which ports are there, while watching, plug in your USB cable and see what port is added.
open that port and set it to match your radio port speed.
make note of the port number, that will be the port to the rig from the software.

Ray
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »

Ugh!!!

How are you getting audio from the rig to the computer?
AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 04:38:21 AM »

Using the desktop Dell with i5 processor and Windows 10

I've got the panadapter working just fine now, (That's a nifty tool!) - Will be fleshing that out today!

Fldigi rig control works, but not getting anything on the waterfall or anywhere, so perhaps the audio is getting to the program?  I still have the panadpater hooked up, and am using the RT systems USB / DB9 adapter cable. with both Fldigi and Panadapter. - I have been shutting down the panadapter program when attempting to work with fldigi.  Do I need to unplug the dongle to the panadapter to run fldigi as well?

Haven't even started to mess with WSJT-X -

But some progress has been made!

KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »

what pan adapter are you using??
AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »

what pan adapter are you using??

KA9MOT setup.

AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 05:38:13 AM »

Panadapter is working fine, including rig control, from both the desktop and the laptop.   FLdigi is decoding a little on the laptop, nothing from the desktop, it appears it's getting signal through the laptop microphone from the radio speaker.  (I have no speakers or microphone on the desktop 'puter.)

The only cables hooked up are the USB/DB9 cable from RT systems, and the USB/dongle cable for the Panadapter IF connection between the computer and the radio. (TS-480HX).

Methinks a purchase from West Mountain, or TigerTronics is in order?

KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »

Panadapter is working fine, including rig control, from both the desktop and the laptop.   FLdigi is decoding a little on the laptop, nothing from the desktop, it appears it's getting signal through the laptop microphone from the radio speaker.  (I have no speakers or microphone on the desktop 'puter.)

The only cables hooked up are the USB/DB9 cable from RT systems, and the USB/dongle cable for the Panadapter IF connection between the computer and the radio. (TS-480HX).

Methinks a purchase from West Mountain, or TigerTronics is in order?

that really isn't needed....

radio speaker to laptop mic in
laptop speaker to radio mic in

cables available at walmart for $4

get a hiel patch for the rj45
and if your laptop is the goofy 4 pole jack, amazon has the adapter for $1.00
or just use the desk top...
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »

Acoustical interfaces are terrible, that explains why it's barely working on the laptop and zilch on the desktop.
Simple audio cabling from the rig to the computer soundcard work.
You may find the RX decode noise floor stinks and can't be properly managed using this method.
All that's required is building a small fixed or variable audio attenuator.
I was very surprised that my old RigBlaster Pro isolated the paths but only had audio control of the TX path.
My RigBlaster was a prototype it has no built in soundcard, it still uses the computer's soundcard....
If your thinking about getting an external soundcard interface the TigerTronics units are better.
Bill, AA2UK
AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »

I broke out my CC and placed an order to HRO - Should be getting a package via UPS today.....

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: