The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 7100 DIGITAL FT8 MODE INSTALL GUIDE.  (Read 454 times)
VE6CPS

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »

Hi everyone,

I searched all over the internet for this information and figured that I would do a quick how-to. The following is how I got my Icom 7100 going on FT8

First install the Icom USB Software from the following:
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-7600/usb1_20/

Second Install the latest version of WSJT-X from the following:
https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

Here are the radio settings that I used:

Click on the "Set" button

Select "Connectors"

The following are the setting that I am currently using:

Connect your USB cable from the radio to your PC.

Open the WSJT-X program you have downloaded. Here are my radio settings that seem to work well:
Make sure to select the radio "Icom IC-7100" there are other options to make sure that you select the correct radio type!

Those are my settings, hopefully that helps out some others who are looking to get into the FT8 world.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:18:22 AM »

Set your "split operation" to "fake it"  and you will enjoy the programs ability to adjust your base frequency to keep you transmit audio always in the "sweet spot" of your transmitters passband of around 1500 hz and not roll off when your go to the ends of the audio spectrum. This can be slightly disconcerting when you see your base frequency change while you are transmitting, but never fear, the program is keeping up with things and will return you to where you need to be upon switching to receive.   Trust and enjoy Smiley

Good helpful tutorial.
VE6CPS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »

Hey thanks! appreciate the response, I will give that a try
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »

Set your "split operation" to "fake it"  and you will enjoy the programs ability to adjust your base frequency to keep you transmit audio always in the "sweet spot" of your transmitters passband of around 1500 hz and not roll off when your go to the ends of the audio spectrum. This can be slightly disconcerting when you see your base frequency change while you are transmitting, but never fear, the program is keeping up with things and will return you to where you need to be upon switching to receive.   Trust and enjoy Smiley

Good helpful tutorial.
I've done some testing here and see no advantage in changing one's TX freq as described above, I've also monitored very strong stations not using this "feature" and have yet to see any audio harmonics/ artifacts.
James I'm with AA4PB on this it's mostly nonsense.
Now split operation on 6 meters and up uses this to QSY off of the digital calling frequency. But this entirely different then the above narrative.
Bill, AA2UK
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »

Good helpful tutorial.
I've done some testing here and see no advantage in changing one's TX freq as described above, I've also monitored very strong stations not using this "feature" and have yet to see any audio harmonics/ artifacts.
James I'm with AA4PB on this it's mostly nonsense.
Now split operation on 6 meters and up uses this to QSY off of the digital calling frequency. But this entirely different then the above narrative.
Bill, AA2UK

Bill, it depends on your transmitter.  Some roll off audio more than others.  As for the harmonics, I believe they are mostly caused by overdriving.  The people I have had the opportunity to help, and eliminate their harmonics was simply a matter of turning down the transmit audio drive so that even with the slider on WSJT-x turned up full, the harmonics are eliminated. I have fixed several over the air and phone.  It is not so easy to fix the ones in Cuba though. Smiley  I will say that the most prolific Cuban operator is clean as a whistle though.
WM4RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »

Great post. It show me what settings I needed to change on my IC-7100. Finally making contacts now. Thanks!

Mike, WM4RB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: