The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for information on a Rohn 54ft crank up tower  (Read 321 times)
K9AQ

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »

I have an opportunity to purchase a Rohn HD3-5-546 crank up, tilt over tower.  This tower was manufactured in the 1960's.  The manual indicates that the tower can be used at any height between 23 ft and 54 ft, but there are ears on each of the top two sections for bolts to pin the sections together.  I found some discussion on the Internet that the tower has to have these bolts.  Having to climb a 40 ft ladder to pin the top section to the middle section, defeats the advantage of a crank up tower.

I am would like to know if anyone has first hand experience with this tower.

Don
K9AQ
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:23:43 AM »

Stay away from those old Rohn crank up towers, 1st they need to be guyed, #2 by now the inner galvanized tubing may have some internal rust especially if the tower has been laying down horizontally for some time. Look for a 54' Hy Gain crank up, there HD54 has the same design as the TRi Ex LM 354 which would be another tower to look for used. These towers were designed as free standing ones also the US tower TX455 but there new prices went threw the roof over the past few years were there used prices are out of sight as well and not really worth there cost. The HY Gain towers were designed almost the same as the Tri Ex except for there base, Tri Ex had a really nice tilt over option.
Buying that old Rohn is like setting yourself up for failure, Rohn designs excellent guyed towers but got out of the crank up towers real fast cause of liability issues in the 1970's.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »

Rohn still sells a fold over tower but is the 55G series and rather expensive. However Ive seen several home made with 25 and 45G for lighter loads.

http://www.rohnnet.com/towers-foldover

Carl
K9AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  This tower is in very good shape.  I couldn't detect any rust, but to be honest I didn't look down the tubes all of the way.  I have a 35 ft Rhon 25 on a hinged base.  I own another section of Rohn 25, so I am thinking I will keep me existing tower and add another section.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: