The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fldigi Morse Decoder  (Read 1705 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 12:12:25 AM »

Hi M0LEP,

Aha that's different then, thanks for clearing it up. In a class room where you are all there, indeed it is going to be of great benefit to also send and compare the sending, it will help form and reinforce characters, and the teacher can correct any problems and guide to the right way, and everyone can hear everyone and learn from others while also being able to hear differences of fists that are acceptable and thus not be stuck on "only" one precise form of keyer generated CW.

I think the problem is these days many people learn on their own at home, and there, they can develop bad habits that go uncorrected. I have one ham friend who is still unable to send his own callsign correctly, because he developed the habit over a long time, and has had no one locally able to mentor and assist to train his ear to the difference between some characters that have just one dit difference: I myself, at QRQ, sometimes wonder if I send VKHEEE or VK5EEE or VK(6 dits)EEE.

A way to train to hear the difference between B and 6, between H and 5 and between V and 4 for example are to send these sequences on your key (ideally off-air, but I've sometimes been heard doing it on air to calibrate at QRQ)  Roll Eyes

EISH5
5HSIE
EISH5HSIE
AUV4
NDB6
VVV 444
HHH 555
BBB 666

This will, at whatever speed you are capable of, enable you to "calibrate" your ear to the difference if you become uncertain.

Once someone develops a bad habit of having to COUNT the dits to send a B, 6, 4, V, 5 or H then this is a problem, as the overall SOUND needs to be heard, and this can be "calibrated" on your own by sending some of the above sequences.

Otherwise it is indeed really hard in today's socially isolated (western) world to find mentors to assist locally. There are some hams who provide an on air service, here in VK we have VK2CCW doing CW sessions a few times each week, with feedback and assistance over SSB, which has been of great help to those learning as well as increasing their speeds.

It's good you are still enjoying CW as it was a long hard effort for you and it has been for many others, all the more respect for sticking at it and enjoying this fun mode, which does not require any specific minimum speed, though I think that character speeds below 13 WPM or so could hamper the development, but, key is having FUN at whatever speed!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 03:24:22 AM »

Used sensibly, computers may make quite good teachers' assistants, but they make poor teachers when used by themselves.

Back when I started trying to learn Morse in 2010 there weren't any actual Morse courses I could attend being run within a half-way sensible travelling distance, CWOps had barely started, and the only practical option was some kind of computer-based solo self-study. Of those available, LCWO.net was the only one that worked reliably on any of my computers, so that's where I started. I've learned quite a lot about how not to learn Morse...
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 06:47:45 AM »

At the Essex CW Boot Camp a few weeks back the instructor leading my group insisted that Morse is mostly rhythm, and you can't learn rythm just by listening; you have to repeat it back. Using a key is as good a way to send the rhythm back as any, so learn to send at the same time as you learn to receive.

(Off topic question)

CW Boot Camp? Sounds interesting...Is it an all weekend event? One Day? How many hours per session? Is it expensive?

I didn't mean to derail the thread, I just wanted to hear more about the CW Boot Camp

Thanks.......

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 06:54:31 AM »

https://sites.google.com/site/essexcw/news/cwbootcamp2017

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »

The Norfolk ARC ( http://www.norfolkamateurradio.org/ ) have run weekend-long boot camps in the past, and the Essex CW Boot Camp was a one-day event borrowing some of their ideas. I think ECWARC are at least considering the possibility of running another one next year. Folk travelled quite a way (by England's standards) to get to it, and I think it was over-subscribed, so there's clearly an appetite among amateurs for face-to-face training.

Here's a report on the day: https://sites.google.com/site/essexcw/news/bootcamp2017-report
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: