The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6500 vs. 6600  (Read 863 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »

Other than having a different form factor so that the equivalent of a Maestro can form the front panel of the 6600M model, I really don't see any difference in the specifications between the 6500 and the 6600.

Are the 6500 and 6600 (not the M model) the same thing internally?
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »

I think one is over rated and the other is over rated with a fancy user interface.

I bet the 6500 is made with better parts, The 6600m probably has more cool words in the description which function as a pre-amp on the high bands.
The newest software on the "m" will have a Feng shui meter to tell you what direction the wind is blowing and the water is flowing. Standard on all models w/parts made in china.

Now, i think i should get into marketing. i am about to sell some unicorn flex rigs Grin Grin Grin

Greg NI8R
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »

Very difficult to go to the Flex website to see how they differ isn't it...  Roll Eyes

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »

Very difficult to go to the Flex website to see how they differ isn't it...  Roll Eyes

I see this forum is as helpful as ever.

I was referring to the internals, which are not well documented on the Flex site... The specifications are nearly identical, which make me wonder if it's really the same internals as the 6500 just in a different form factor to accommodate the front panel in the "M" version.

Speaking of the "M" version, I wonder if it uses the same Dell tablet as the Maestro does?
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »

My understanding of the major differences between the previous 63/6500 series and the new 64/6600 series was a newer, faster and less expensive FPGA resulting in an across the board price reduction in the new models. Also an RMDR spec matching that of their flagship 6700 within both new models.  The new "M" series are of course targeted to that market segment who insist on having knobs while at the same time cutting the previously mandatory umbilical cord between their rig and a legacy PC.  Of course the "M" series still uses the Windows "Tablet" OS, but at least it's a standalone unit which users have been asking for and will likely be a strong competitor for the new Icom 7610. Although we still don't have a final price for the 7610, the 6400M will very likely be in the same ballpark ($3300 incl the optional ATU).  Kudos to Flex for giving us both VFO knobs and user-programmable front panel buttons. Additional kudos for that gorgeous 1980 x 1200 display and HDMI output.
73 - Bill
 W1BG
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:46:35 AM by W1BG » Logged

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
SV1JSO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »

The 6600 has 2 capturing units while the 6500 has only one. Of course the diversity with beam steering will be implemented in the far future after they 'll fix the noise blanker and the 4 bit auto notch!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:35:36 PM by SV1JSO » Logged
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

I see this forum is as helpful as ever.

I was referring to the internals, which are not well documented on the Flex site... The specifications are nearly identical, which make me wonder if it's really the same internals as the 6500 just in a different form factor to accommodate the front panel in the "M" version.

Speaking of the "M" version, I wonder if it uses the same Dell tablet as the Maestro does?

Well, you get what you give, you asked a generic question to which I generically answered.  Wink

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: