The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXpedition? Don't put all your ham gear in your checked luggage  (Read 1252 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »

The stickiest wicket I've had is in convincing them I'm not going to leave it behind.

In 9Y as a noncitizen you are required to pay a bond. You may or may not get your bond back when you leave. But that bond is supposed to prevent you from selling your equipment to locals. Pretty asinine.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »

Tom's advice is good and usually works IME of easier places than he goes.

However, if the TSA makes you put it in the plane's belly stateside, then only UA4WHX and Tom will have much opportunity to put it into practice in the near future I fear.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »

In 9Y as a noncitizen you are required to pay a bond. You may or may not get your bond back when you leave. But that bond is supposed to prevent you from selling your equipment to locals. Pretty asinine.

But not uncommon.  Remember, in a lot of these little countries, import/export revenue is a big part of their tax system.  They want to be sure they got paid. I've had to register gear by serial number just so it was clear that I was taking out _exactly_ what I took in.

Back in the SDR 1000 days, I got Flexradio to make up special external stickers with serial numbers on them just so our group could get the gear through Belize.  No bond was required, but registration ahead of time, by serial, was.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »

But not uncommon.  Remember, in a lot of these little countries, import/export revenue is a big part of their tax system.  They want to be sure they got paid. I've had to register gear by serial number just so it was clear that I was taking out _exactly_ what I took in.

They should stop pick pocketing hams, and focus on the Paradise Papers. I know, way off-topic, but it drives me crazy when I see all the 'efficiency' applied to the little guy.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: