The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wondering about antennas  (Read 803 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:05:27 AM »

Which antenna is more oimportant based The the following charts?

FM birds

Transmit. Receive
V.             U
U.             V

Ssb birds
Transmit.  receive
V.              U
U.              V

Randy Ka4nma

Btw, still looking for mobile or base antennas?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:47:25 AM »

Which antenna is more [important] based The the following charts?

Based on your charts, one antenna for VHF, one antenna for UHF.  What other criteria would narrow down what you're trying to achieve?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »

My budget is limited. Which antenna should I go with first?

Randy Ka4nma
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »

AMSAT sells a dualband handheld Arrow brand for $94. It's designed to work with two radios, has no diplexer so you could use a handheld and an RTL-SDR dongle even...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »

Doesn't get more "budget" than the WA5VJB cheap yagi.  Often folks have the materials on had to build those, and they are plenty to get you started.

I use an Arrow for portable work, that's just 3 elements on 2 and 7 elements on 440.  There are plans out there to build a cheap yagi version of this.

To be equipped for much more than "portable" you quickly move past "budget", both in terms of antennas and radios.  Not sure what your goal is but working the easy sats will teach you a lot about operating and maybe what you'd want to do for a next step.

Below is a link to an AO-50 pass I worked as W5E during JOTA last month with an arrow and a kenwood HT, camped in the mountains near Albuquerque.  About as simple a station as you can get, visible in photo PA210032.JPG.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4m17fc3zie2kkhm/AABwpIgsecvigbvjN46mrFTwa?dl=0

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »

Is the Arrow antenna sturdy enough to be mounted   permanently outside, especially in VERMONT?

I have looked over the WA5VJB cheap yagi.  With shaky hands and bad eyesight, I do not think I could solder the filter and driven elements. A 50 watt version is what I would be interested in as I could also use it on SSB.

I do not have much room  for antennas or mast.  It will be pointed roughly southwest for Ssb from my location in Montpelier Vt and at an angle of 15 degrees for satellites.  I have a huge hill blocking one direction (rear of antenna) and I do not have a rotor (yet).  The antenna is end mounted. And yes I know it's not the best but it's a start on my limited income.  What do you say?

Randy Ka4nma
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:46:28 PM by KA4NMA » Logged
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »

What coax would you recommend for an outdoor run of about 25 feet?
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 02:16:56 AM »

For UHF/VHF with that short of a run, LMR-400 would be a good choice. If your antenna system involves a rotor, then LMR-400UF offers more flexibility at the expense of slightly more loss.

Make sure to buy the cable with the needed connectors already installed if you select LMR-400 style cable. The professional crimp tools used by the suppliers will beat out anything you can do in low quantities.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »

Is the Arrow antenna sturdy enough to be mounted   permanently outside, especially in VERMONT?

No.  Though there are commercial antennas that are similar that would be, and the WA5VJB yagis could be made more durable.

With shaky hands and bad eyesight,
I do not have much room  for antennas or mast.
... on my limited income.

Doesn't sound like your expectations are realistic.  If you can't afford or deploy a turnkey az/el array and can't work a portable system I'm not sure you have a lot of satellite operating in your future.  The easysats are easy enough but to do much more than that is a commitment.

Probably a good compromise is a nominal gain set of circular polarized yagis to give it a broad beamwidth, then set that up with an azimuth rotator to track.  Not optimum, but not a big footprint or hardware expense to at least get you in the game.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: