The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On How NCIS Maligned the Amateur Radio Service  (Read 2650 times)
NW7US

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:18:04 AM »

I've been reading some of the chatter regarding the NCIS episode in which they incorrectly portray the amateur radio service. I thought I would make a video (vlog) and express my thoughts. Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIWJ7kKbxiM

Some of you wanted to see the complete version, uncut, of this video in which I discuss the differences between CB and the Amateur Radio Service.  This is in response to the recent episode in which the NCIS writers missed a great opportunity to discover the vibrant reality of the current amateur radio service in the United States of America.

The previous version of the video was prematurely cut short by just over three minutes.  This version includes that ending.  I also remove some of the low-end rumblings from the vehicle.  This version should sound a little bit less annoying.  Hopefully, the quality of the video is sharper, as well.  This version was edited by Adobe Premiere CC 2017.

I use my new headset mic to make the video. If you have a few moments, please check it out, and let me know how the mic sounds.

Of course, share your thoughts on the NCIS thing... thanks! I appreciate the many comments, views, and shares.  Please subscribe, too!

73 from Omaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIWJ7kKbxiM

-- 73 de NW7US
Columnist, CQ Magazine & Spectrum Monitor

@NW7US on Twitter
My videos on YouTube
My propagation page
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:30:54 AM »

I appreciate the many comments, views, and shares.  Please subscribe, too!

73 from Omaha!

Eh....no. 

Yikes.
NW7US

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:33:13 AM »

.... and.... the trolls begin.

Trolls = QRM = silly noise-makers (like CBers)

-- 73 de NW7US

@NW7US on Twitter
My videos on YouTube
My propagation page
NW7US

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »

I think it is relevant that we use these opportunities to promote a positive view of our service and hobby. This video isn't primarily aimed at those of us in the know. There are many who are not knowledgeable about the modernity and service of amateur radio, let alone anything specific. Hopefully, this vlog entry encourages some interested soul in looking further into the hobby. Some hams may skip out after minute one, but others may find it reinforcing to reflect on what the modernity of our radio service.

Who knows, maybe when you share this with non-hams, it might inspire them to look a little deeper into the hobby and thereafter become one of the amateur radio operators, too.

-- 73 de NW7US

@NW7US on Twitter
My videos on YouTube
My propagation page
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »

We’ll, at the risk “trolling,” this is pretty self-absorbed, OM.  “My thoughts,” “subscribe/follow me,” etc...whatever.  Social media has really done a number on people and turned so many into narcissists.  One notable on here dropped the most outrageous drivel time and again, all designed to get more “followers” and “fans.”

If you decided to profile others with THEIR activities and contributions, that would be worthwhile.  A really good book that was required reading of everyone on our team years ago was: I Am Third.  Timeless wisdom.

NW7US

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »

We’ll, at the risk “trolling,”

We will, what?

Anyone who starts off with a disclaimer, "I don't mean to..." -- a form of "at the risk of trolling..." -- is letting everyone know the obvious.

this is pretty self-absorbed, OM.  “My thoughts,” “subscribe/follow me,” etc...whatever.

Thank you.  You are a true magnanimous others-centered benefactor. Giving your expert medical diagnosis has saved me (and others, surely) a bit on my medical expenses.  It is a work of pure beauty how you illustrate your prognosis by demonstration.  Oh, to live up to your high standards!  You must be warmed by the knowing how you help the community with your selfless and discerning observations.

Social media has really done a number on people and turned so many into narcissists.  One notable on here dropped the most outrageous drivel time and again, all designed to get more “followers” and “fans.”

Said the pot about the kettle.

If you decided to profile others with THEIR activities and contributions, that would be worthwhile.  A really good book that was required reading of everyone on our team years ago was: I Am Third.  Timeless wisdom.

Well-done.  You've demonstrated the wisdom with finesse.

73 to you, as well.

-- 73 de NW7US

@NW7US on Twitter
My videos on YouTube
My propagation page
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 03:28:41 AM »

Well, FB. 
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:34:04 AM »

I see that the OP has started a similar thread over on QRZ (duplicating an existing thread) kvetching about the show.  And arguing about his right to do so, and so forth, just as much.

It was a lousy episode of a once-great show that is showing it's age and continuing to decline, losing viewers, cast, and eventually advertisers.  It will probably be gone in a year or two, sad to say.  More importantly, the show runners really don't care about any butt-hurt that any hams feel, as they clearly are more interested in moving along the (more and more) predictable plot than reflecting reality, which takes too long and which nobody (especially them) care about.

Fugedaboudit.  Move along; nothing to see here.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 06:03:26 AM »

It was a lousy episode of a once-great show that is showing it's age and continuing to decline, losing viewers, cast, and eventually advertisers.  It will probably be gone in a year or two, sad to say.  More importantly, the show runners really don't care about any butt-hurt that any hams feel, as they clearly are more interested in moving along the (more and more) predictable plot than reflecting reality, which takes too long and which nobody (especially them) care about.

Fugedaboudit.  Move along; nothing to see here.

That sums it up nicely. Moving along...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 06:07:46 AM »

To sum it up

A Tempest In A Teapot
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:38:16 AM »

You guys nailed it, couldn't agree more.
NW7US

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 06:46:06 AM »

I'll bet you won't pass it by, and will cling to it with glee. You've all demonstrated that you can't just pass it by.

Trolls thrive on fresh pickings.

-- 73 de NW7US

@NW7US on Twitter
My videos on YouTube
My propagation page
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 07:04:38 AM »

And narcissists thrive on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, website chatrooms, etc, etc.

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »

I'll bet you won't pass it by, and will cling to it with glee. You've all demonstrated that you can't just pass it by.

Mr. Debakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory.  Try Mr. Barnard, Room 12A, just along the corridor.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »

Mr. Debakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory.  Try Mr. Barnard, Room 12A, just along the corridor.

"Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?"

Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: