The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with FT8 transmissions error message  (Read 281 times)
K1FQY

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:00:29 AM »

Hi,
Just getting back into the ham radio after a long absence and became very interested in the new digital modes. Have a Icom 756 Proll and have no problem decoding the FT8 signals but more than half of the transmissions have an error message. It says

"Rig Control issue"
                                                                          Hamlib error:Communication bus error while getting current VFO frequency
I am pretty  sure its RFI because if I reduce my XT power to below 15 or so watts it seems to work much better.
It was suggested I get some ferrrite filters. I bought 4 clamp on type and put them on the cat and control lines one at each end.
It may have helped slightly but not much. The interface I am using is a XGGCOMMS Digicomm-1.
I am not sure exactly where to place the ferrites and wondering if anyone had had this problem and has any advice.

Thanks,
Tom
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:12:58 AM »

Tom,

The type (mix) of ferrite is important. A type 31 or 43 material should be used. Purchase some in toroid form with a center hole large enough to pass the cable connector through it with room to spare. Then wrap at least four turns around (through) the toroid. The turns have a squared effect so 4 turns is the equivalent of 16 snap-ons with 1 turn. Place a toroid on each end of the cable(s).

Your interference could be an indication of common mode currents on your antenna feedline. Placing a choking balun at the antenna feedpoint and another one prior to entering your shack will likely reduce any CMC issues.

You may also have some success by lowering the baud rate of the rig control circuit.

- Glenn W9IQ
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:21:13 AM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »

Does the issue seem to be band specific?
Are you using an antenna tuner (in shack) with a non-resonant antenna?
It sounds like stray RF in the shack.
+1 for round #31 or 43 Toroids.
Bill AA2UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: