The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two antenna analyzers compared  (Read 737 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »

I recently took various antenna measurements using different analyzers. For those interested:

https://ae5x.blogspot.com/2017/11/a-brief-comparison-of-two-antenna.html

NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »

Good comparison. I would guess that the differences would be smaller with both devices calibrated with same loads.  FA-VA4 also has a new design to have longer battery life (claimed 20 h vs about 4 h or the ZOOM). At a cost of slow updates.

I have AA-230Pro and FA-VA4. The Pro is much easier to use and also has other functions like distance-to-short. FA-VA4 is excellent deal for the money but harder to use because of 3 buttons only. Both have good accuracy. If you are cheap, FA-VA4 wins.

AA Zooms (55 and 230) are 1/3 weight and half size of the old series, a bit larger than but similar weight as FA-VA4.   

Pro cannot be calibrated but both the Zoom and FA-VA4 can have OLS calibrations. The 50 Ohm load supplied with my FA-VA4 was OK but not great.

If you want cheaper and smaller (half size of FA-VA4) with no battery to replace (Li-Ion battery inside charged via USB), mini60 is an option. Good accuracy for SWR but not for X. 

If you want semi-professional, buy VNWA3 but be ready to spend 1 hr calibrating/updating every so often.

Ignacy, NO9E
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »

This brings to mind Segal's Law, about the man with two watches...
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »

I sent an email to Funk over 2 weeks ago with questions and have had no response; this is giving me second thoughts about support.

1. Is there a software patch to be able to use 75 Ohm coax or switch between that and 50?

2. Are there any plans to offer a VHF version?

Meanwhile I dont believe that the pricey other brands are offering fair value and instead going for the gold while it lasts.

Carl
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »

John,

I accidentally deleted the meaningful part of my original post, which was to thank you for publishing your findings. Articles like yours are the rare gems in the online noise.

Bob
K3LI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

Nice comparison.  BTW the Funk is 149 Euros which today is around 173 USD according to Funk's website.  Still a really nice deal.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »

1. Is there a software patch to be able to use 75 Ohm coax or switch between that and 50?

2. Are there any plans to offer a VHF version?

Theory of FA-VA4 is described in May/June 2017 issue of QEX. It states that the accuracy is lower above 50MHz. So VHF may be over the design limit.

RigExperts have 25/50/75/100 Ohm modes plus more. More expensive but really cheap when amortized over many years.   

Ignacy, NO9E
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »

Theory of FA-VA4 is described in May/June 2017 issue of QEX. It states that the accuracy is lower above 50MHz. So VHF may be over the design limit.

I already expected that and was inquiring about a different analyzer they may be working on.

New ones keep showing up and someday I'll find the price/performance I want.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: