The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VK9MA and FT8...what happened?  (Read 1023 times)
W8VVE

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »

Looking at clublog stats...VK9MA has 26875 QSO's and only 20 of them have been on FT8 mode.
I read a lot about this dxpedition and was expecting they would make an effort on FT8...but it's obvious that's not going to happen.  Perhaps I was being too hopeful...or "read" more into their
communications than was there.  Anyone have any first hand knowledge about this?  Sam W8VVE
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »

Thank's VK9MA for working the traditional modes ( CW; SSB; RTTY).  But they could have placed a remote robot somewhere on the reef and let it churn out all those FT8 calls without any attention. 
Art
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »

Thank's VK9MA for working the traditional modes ( CW; SSB; RTTY).  But they could have placed a remote robot somewhere on the reef and let it churn out all those FT8 calls without any attention.  
Art
That was uncalled for. I'm glad FT8 did not 'succeed' in destroying your enjoyment of the hobby.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »

Thank's VK9MA for working the traditional modes ( CW; SSB; RTTY).  But they could have placed a remote robot somewhere on the reef and let it churn out all those FT8 calls without any attention. 
Art
Why say something stupid like that?  What is the point? When you know a "remote robot" what ever that is cannot make FT8 contacts by itself.  It is just dumb, and it is getting old.
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:05 PM »

Today I worked VK9MA on 20M and 15M FT8.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 12:58:31 AM »

Lots of ops working VK9MA on 40m FT8 right now (0900Z). VK9MA is -13db in the Boston area.
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »

Same here in West Virginia...his signal is running -4 at 11:30Z and lots are working VK9MA on 40M FT8.
Perhaps their plan is/was to do more FT8 towards the end.  Lets keep it going....73...Sam W8VVE
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 06:38:26 AM »

Same here in West Virginia...his signal is running -4 at 11:30Z and lots are working VK9MA on 40M FT8.
Perhaps their plan is/was to do more FT8 towards the end.  Lets keep it going....73...Sam W8VVE

That's good to hear. I still have not even heard them.

I spoke with Thank, the VK9MA operator working the traditional modes, yesterday. He told me that after talking to some very 'experienced' (believe it or not) traditional DXers before the DXpedition, that it was going to be a piece of cake to setup a robot to take care of the FT8 unwashed, and keep them at bay.

He was surprised to see that you still had to click enabled Tx, and even after that, only one contact would sometimes complete. He quickly realized he had been had by the 'experts', and decided to spend more time on FT8, not a traditional mode in the negative sense of the word, but something new, that for now at least, has captured a lot of attention among the real world, nonprofessional, hobby based, hams.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:44:04 AM by VA3VF » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »

Perhaps their plan is/was to do more FT8 towards the end.  Lets keep it going....73...Sam W8VVE

That's good to hear. I still have not even heard them.

I spoke with Thank, the VK9MA operator working the traditional modes, yesterday. He told me that after talking to some very 'experienced' (believe it or not) traditional DXers before the DXpedition, that it was going to be a piece of cake to setup a robot to take care of the FT8 unwashed, and keep them at bay.

He was surprised to see that you still had to click enabled Tx, and even after that, only one contact would sometimes complete. He quickly realized he had been had by the 'experts', and decided to spend more time on FT8, not a traditional mode in the negative sense of the word, but something new, that for now at least, has captured a lot of attention among the real world, nonprofessional, hobby based, hams.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

I guess it goes to show that some of the negative garbage being spewed out by the digital mode haters has some actual effect. I don't really understand all of the negativity about digital modes, but I suspect it has its roots in curmudgeon es.  Smiley   
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »

I have nothing against FT8.  What is so bad about automating that mode since it is so efficient.  If the DXpeditions would use this mode in the future they would not have to take so much equipment with them and even stations in HOA's could get a contact.
Art
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »

Looking at the final statistics on Clublog...VK9MA is showing 949 QSO's using FT8.  I appreciate their efforts on FT8 and all bands/modes
in general.  I'm looking forward to upcoming DX-peditions incorporating FT8 in their operating schedules.  73 to all....Sam W8VVE
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »

The WSJTX software is currently being worked in and optimized DX stations and Expeditions. Look for a public release soon.
73, Bill
AA2UK
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »

I have nothing against FT8. ... edit... even stations in HOA's could get a contact.
Art

Smoke & Mirrors.
You sure changed your tune
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »

Smoke & Mirrors.
You sure changed your tune

Cut the guy some slack.  Smiley He clearly did not know what he was talking about, and may have seen the light. Grin

Don't like the mode, fine. I venture to say that most people would not miss one N9 prefix (nothing against N9s, please please please).

That said, spreading misinformation is not nice.

Enjoy not enjoying FT8.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:14:30 AM by VA3VF » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: