The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody using AH-4 with Icom 7300?  (Read 228 times)
AB6TN

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »

For some reason my new 7300 does not "see" my AH-4. Is there something in "settings" I am missing? My understanding is that the 7300 should automatically recognize the AH-4. When I hooked up the AH-4 to my 746 on ANT 1, it recognized it automatically and indicated "EXT" on the LCD.

I have searched the manual and see no special settings for attaching the AH-4. The AH-4 is connected to a G5RV at the feedpoint. I have been using this configuration for 5+ years and it has worked GREAT!

I have a spare AH-4 that can be swapped out, but that involves some ladder work. Before going that route, there might be a simple configuration issue that could solve the problem. In a few weeks we could have a couple feet of snow that would complicate the ladder work even more.

Thanks for any help.

Tom AB6TN
W8ASA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »

How is your tuner connected to the radio? Via the 4-pin Molex connector? Here's some information:

Press (do not hold) the TUNER button to toggle the internal ATU on and off. The display will shown "TUNE" if the internal ATU is on (however, this will extinguish if a suitable match is not later found). Holding the TUNE button for about 1 second initiates a "manual" tuning operation.

The 7300 can also be programmed to automatically initiate a tuning operation if the frequency has changed by more than 1% and the PTT is keyed. This feature is accessible under SET > Function > Tuner > PTT Start.

If you have an ICOM brand external ATU (e.g. AH-4) or ICOM tunable antenna (e.g. AH-740) the 7300 will automatically recognize these devices during power up, disable the internal tuner, and transfer the tuning operation to the external tuner/antenna. The TUNE button will then work as described above but utilizing the external ATU.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »

For some reason my new 7300 does not "see" my AH-4. Is there something in "settings" I am missing? My understanding is that the 7300 should automatically recognize the AH-4. When I hooked up the AH-4 to my 746 on ANT 1, it recognized it automatically and indicated "EXT" on the LCD.

I have searched the manual and see no special settings for attaching the AH-4. The AH-4 is connected to a G5RV at the feedpoint. I have been using this configuration for 5+ years and it has worked GREAT!

I have a spare AH-4 that can be swapped out, but that involves some ladder work. Before going that route, there might be a simple configuration issue that could solve the problem. In a few weeks we could have a couple feet of snow that would complicate the ladder work even more.

Thanks for any help.

Tom AB6TN

Keep in mind I don't have an AH4.  But what leads you to believe that it does not work with the AH4?  From what I can see the AH4 replaces the internal tuner and the function of the tuner button.  There is no other indication.  So if you press and hold the tuner button does the AH4 go into a tune cycle?  Does the TUNE light stay lit? or does it go off?  In other words, what did you expect to happen and what happened.  Also when you installed the AH4 plug, was the radio turned off? and when you turn it back on is when the AH4 should replace the internal tuners function and the tuner button function.  
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »

How is your tuner connected to the radio? Via the 4-pin Molex connector? Here's some information:

Press (do not hold) the TUNER button to toggle the internal ATU on and off. The display will shown "TUNE" if the internal ATU is on (however, this will extinguish if a suitable match is not later found). Holding the TUNE button for about 1 second initiates a "manual" tuning operation.

The 7300 can also be programmed to automatically initiate a tuning operation if the frequency has changed by more than 1% and the PTT is keyed. This feature is accessible under SET > Function > Tuner > PTT Start.

If you have an ICOM brand external ATU (e.g. AH-4) or ICOM tunable antenna (e.g. AH-740) the 7300 will automatically recognize these devices during power up, disable the internal tuner, and transfer the tuning operation to the external tuner/antenna. The TUNE button will then work as described above but utilizing the external ATU.

That PTT tune function is pretty handy, when you forget when you change bands and change antennas and are operating FT8, as soon as the transmitter starts it will automatically go into a tune sequence.  You may not make all of your 15 second sequence on FT8, but at least you will be tuned up for the next one  Smiley  Pretty handy when you are operating remote too and not right in front of the radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: