The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunspot Cycle and DX Antenna Planning  (Read 1262 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »

Saw a chart comparing our current cycle 24 to the Dalton Minimum period and it wasn't pretty.
Take a look.  Cycle 24 is overlayed over the Dalton Minimum in cycle 5 and 6.  So far cycle 24 seems
to be tracking the Dalton Minimum  Angry  There are predictions that we are beginning another Dalton Minimum but I haven't taken the predictions too seriously but seeing this graphic comparison made me
take notice.   I am already planning on improving my 40 and down antennas for the near term.  If we are indeed going thru another Dalton Minimum will 20M and up will be in the dumps for another 18 years ?  Huh
Your thoughts ?

https://s2.postimg.org/ovl9bznpl/sc24-versus-sc5.png

Bob
K6UJ
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »

Doesn't matter if the long term predictions come true or not.  Worry when they happen.

We are going to be in a down cycle for a couple of years because even in "good" cycles, that's the way it works.  

Improve your low band performance for that and it doesn't matter if the next sunspot peak is weak or strong.  Plenty of time to deal with whatever happens later.  For now, we know what's going to be the truth and can prepare our DXing accordingly.

Heck, some of you might even take up VHF or EME.  Not everything is tied to sunspots, after all.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:33:31 AM »

One thing is for certain: there is no stopping the solar cycle; the new Dalton
Minimum will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new Dalton Minimum
overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted low-band personality, I
can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their swamps laying out
beverages and 8-circles.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:35:59 AM by N3QE » Logged
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:20:12 AM »

My prediction is that it may or may not.
VE8EV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »

Isn't it a bit early to start freaking out the newbies with the "sunspots are never coming back!" talk?  In fact, that picture went around at the bottom of the last cycle.  I hate to confront anyone's "alternative facts" with reality but if you add the last 7 years onto that graph you can see cycle 24 was somewhat unremarkable but not too dismal.

That said, the solar cycle is like the seasons.  At the end of the summer you put the boat and fishing gear away and start stacking firewood and tuning up the snowmobile (or whatever people do in the winter where it doesn't snow).  Likewise, after all the excitement of 10m DX and 20m open around the clock, towards the bottom of the cycle you get your low-band antennas set up and maybe start on that satellite gear or whatever.  I made sure to finish off 10m DXCC this cycle and now I'm getting ready to press for 5BDXCC by finishing 80m.  The tower with TH6DXX came down to make room for the big S-33 triband yagi (17/20/40m) and several receiving antenna projects are in the works.

I'm looking forward to the minimum as much as I was looking forward to the maximum!

John VE8EV
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:08:08 AM »

Saw a chart comparing our current cycle 24 to the Dalton Minimum period and it wasn't pretty.
Take a look.  Cycle 24 is overlayed over the Dalton Minimum in cycle 5 and 6.  So far cycle 24 seems
to be tracking the Dalton Minimum  Angry  There are predictions that we are beginning another Dalton Minimum but I haven't taken the predictions too seriously but seeing this graphic comparison made me
take notice.   I am already planning on improving my 40 and down antennas for the near term.  If we are indeed going thru another Dalton Minimum will 20M and up will be in the dumps for another 18 years ?  Huh
Your thoughts ?

https://s2.postimg.org/ovl9bznpl/sc24-versus-sc5.png

Bob
K6UJ

Yes

V
K3NRX
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »

I'll remain pat, and ride it out.

Obie N5VYS
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »

Sell everything now before no one wants it.   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »

Or explore the new bandlets (630/2200m).

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »

In the last seven years I've worked 9 band DXCC with simple wire antennas.  Grin

WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »

Yes, panic sell your gear to me for 10 cents on the original retail dollar (provided the equipment is popular and less than five years old).
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »

In the last seven years I've worked 9 band DXCC with simple wire antennas.  Grin

Yes, and it was such a "bad" cycle.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »

Yes, panic sell your gear to me for 10 cents on the original retail dollar (provided the equipment is popular and less than five years old).

You'll have to find some other willing participant.   My radio is close to 20 years old, and my amplifier is 17 years old.   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

I must agree, the past decade has been very good to me as well...  I just move to just below the MUF no matter where it is for the most part...  Good DX is here now, and will remain...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 03:00:27 AM »

For the past few years, I've been QRV on 20m only (a self impost current limitation). I look at the worse CONDX on the upper bands as something positive for me, as DXpeditions spend less time there and more time on 20m.  Grin Grin Grin

When the CONDX on the higher bands eventually start improving, hopefully people from the lower bands will start spending more time on 20 and up, so that'll be a good thing for me, too.  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:08:39 AM by VE3VEE » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: