The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combining logs  (Read 1355 times)
WB4RA

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:09:56 AM »

I'm looking for software I can use to combine multiple logs, edit, then export. I've been using WSIT-J for FT8 and JT65-HF for my JT65. Both have different logs and store their fields in different order.

What I'm looking to do is combine the two programs logs, then delete not used fields, change field order, then be able to export it to match the format for WSIT-J which is a much simpler log with a lot less fields.

I've found lots of programs that will let me combine them, but none that will let me edit the field order and get ride of the fields not used by WSIT-J, then export in the order used by WSIT-J.

Currently I see no way to just import a log into WSIT-J.

Thanks
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »

Pretty sure all those programs save the logs in ADIF format. My guess is you would need to first convert the ADIF logs to Excel, edit them in the way you want, and then convert them back to ADIF format. Take a look at the following link. Provides a program to do all the conversions for you.
http://dl1hw.darc.de/adif_en.htm
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »

I'm looking for software I can use to combine multiple logs, edit, then export. I've been using WSIT-J for FT8 and JT65-HF for my JT65. Both have different logs and store their fields in different order.

What I'm looking to do is combine the two programs logs, then delete not used fields, change field order, then be able to export it to match the format for WSIT-J which is a much simpler log with a lot less fields.

I've found lots of programs that will let me combine them, but none that will let me edit the field order and get ride of the fields not used by WSIT-J, then export in the order used by WSIT-J.

Thanks

I may not have understood exactly what you are trying to do, so my apologies in advance if I'm totally off base.

I have been in a similar situation, and all I did was export all logs to ADIF, then import them into my logging program, then export again as a single ADIF file, and drop it in the WSJT-X folder. Just remove the preamble each logging software adds to the file when exporting.

Not sure why you want to eliminate fields, but all you need to edit an ADIF file is a text editor, notepad works great.
WB4RA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 04:16:06 AM »

What logging program are you using. Here's the rub.

I'm trying to combine the two logs of JT65-HF and WSJT-X.

The .ADI files have a different number of fields with different formats and different names so I can't just load them both into Excel.

I guess my next question is, will WSJT-X ignore the extra fields?

thanks
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »

I deal with this a lot; my master log is an MS-Access database, works great.  But I may generate log entries on a linux desktop or a win7 laptop or paper napkins from the car. :-)  It's a bit of a pain, but when I have enough entries to make it worth the 10 minutes it takes, I export from whatever log it is to CSV, comma-separated, or to an Excel spreadsheet.  Then I write a simple query to append the data from the outside log to the master QSO table in Access.  Don't know if this does you any good, but it's how I do it.   GL!  --ken
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

Thanks

Field and record order in an ADIF file is irrelevant unless a human is examining the file; an ADIF-compliant application must be insensitive to both field order and record order.

When importing an ADIF file containing fields it does not utilize, an ADIF-compliant application will simply ignore those fields.

There is thus no need to "massage" an ADIF file before importing it into an ADIF-compliant application.

WSJT-X appends logged QSOs to an ADIF file. It cannot display previously-recorded QSOs, and thus has no need of an "import ADIF file" function.

What must you be able to do with your QSOs after importing them from an ADIF file into a simple logging application?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:41:19 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: