The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! I can't get echolink to work with an ellipsis jet pack router  (Read 1356 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:11:10 AM »

I am unable to connect to any node using my ellipsis jet pack router for my internet connection. I did the set up on the "my jetpack" site's port filtering that verizion provides. It appears as follows:

Custom Applications

You can define your own applications, and then enable or disable them as needed. To define an application, you need to know the outgoing ports used by the application.

Allow   Application Name    Start Port    End Port    Protocol    Delete

x              EchoLink                   5198        5199         UDP

x              EchoLink                   5200        5200         TCP

When I do the Firewall/Router Test in the EchoLink software, the TCP protocol test is successful, but the UDP tests fail after 4 attempts with the number 10060 appearing at the end of each failure notice....What am I doing wrong?.....all other applications in the port filtering are checked with the port filtering turned on.....there is a DMZ button that is turned off.....not sure if that would matter.....someone please advise if there is something else I should do, as I can not connect to anything at all on echolink....all connections fail.....do I need to re-download echolink?....The windows firewall is in line, and echolink worked with what I was using before I began using this jetpak......any advise would be greatly appreciated......

V
K3NRX

P.S. using windows 7 with a Toshiba Laptop
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:29:42 AM by K3NRX » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:47:35 AM »

another P.S.:  the Windows firewall is allowing EchoLink so that should not be an issue...

V
K3NRX

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:59:08 AM »

I find it unusual that after 247 views, no one has any ideas on how I can combat/solve this problem and get my Echolink to work with this contraption. The EchoLink web site is a waste for help, as was calling Verizon tech support. I can't help but wonder if my inability to connect to any nodes has something to do with my internet service, and iphone talk text and data plan being with the same company, and the fact that I have the Echolink app on my phone.  When I am away from the Jetpack and connected to another wi fi system, the Echolink on the lap top works fine.....it doesn't seem right that it's not working, especially after the protocol set up was followed to the letter...
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »

I just took a look at Echolink, not a repeater op that much but it's interesting. I can connect with my android phone and work the test site, and can connect to a repeater but cannot pass the connection test with my laptop.. both devices are using the same wifi connection to the same router.

This video shows a very detailed set of steps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-PIyjzXhY , I watched it once and I thought that the port forwarding involved 5198 and 5199 [and don't forget to click the little box that enables the setting in the router, way too easy to do all the steps except that one little last one... ]. Going to watch it again. I have a router from Xfinity and am not aware that I can get into it at all, have to learn more about that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:41:19 PM by AC7CW » Logged

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:44:33 PM »

uhhh, yeah... I just did the port forwarding on the xfinity [comcast] router and got the same result... My router is an ARRIS 1682G. I also discovered that it still had the default password and username, I thought Xfinity took care of that stuff...

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »

Vince,

Just to correct a bit of terminology, the port forwarding feature in a firewall allows unsolicited incoming packets from the Internet to pass through your firewall to reach a specific IP address on your internal network. Your earlier description suggests that it is for outgoing packets.

A critical part of port forwarding is that it needs an IP address to which it should forward the traffic that is received on the specified ports. This is the IP address of your computer that is running the EchoLink software. In most cases, your computer receives a dynamically assigned IP address when it connects to your router. You need to ensure that your computer always receives and uses the same IP address when on your local network in order for port forwarding to work correctly. You can do this in your router by "reserving" a specific IP address for your computer according to its MAC address (sometimes called a physical address).

You can find your MAC address on your Windows 7 computer by going to the command prompt and typing GETMAC. Use the MAC address from your WiFi card to reserve a local IP address for your computer in your router. This IP address is then used for the next step.

You then need to inform your router that the "EchoLink" port forwards go to this fixed IP address of your computer. Your original post indicates that you told the router that the UDP connections are related to EchoLink but you have not (apparently) configured what computer IP address should receive this "EchoLink" traffic.

Also check that you are using at least version 2.0 of the EchoLink software as this corrects some otherwise troublesome port usage problems.

- Glenn W9IQ
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:02:08 PM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »

I got it working with my comcast router. I had to go back in and make a second rule to allow tcp on port 5200. Somehow I thought from what I saw on the echolink test page that was taken care of. Could there be firewall rules in place that affect this? I just built this machine and I recall when first connecting I told the firewall to treat all my wifi like i was in a public place.

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »

Vince,

Just to correct a bit of terminology, the port forwarding feature in a firewall allows unsolicited incoming packets from the Internet to pass through your firewall to reach a specific IP address on your internal network. Your earlier description suggests that it is for outgoing packets.

A critical part of port forwarding is that it needs an IP address to which it should forward the traffic that is received on the specified ports. This is the IP address of your computer that is running the EchoLink software. In most cases, your computer receives a dynamically assigned IP address when it connects to your router. You need to ensure that your computer always receives and uses the same IP address when on your local network in order for port forwarding to work correctly. You can do this in your router by "reserving" a specific IP address for your computer according to its MAC address (sometimes called a physical address).

You can find your MAC address on your Windows 7 computer by going to the command prompt and typing GETMAC. Use the MAC address from your WiFi card to reserve a local IP address for your computer in your router. This IP address is then used for the next step.

You then need to inform your router that the "EchoLink" port forwards go to this fixed IP address of your computer. Your original post indicates that you told the router that the UDP connections are related to EchoLink but you have not (apparently) configured what computer IP address should receive this "EchoLink" traffic.

Also check that you are using at least version 2.0 of the EchoLink software as this corrects some otherwise troublesome port usage problems.

- Glenn W9IQ

In my router i merely had to select what device to forward to and specify the rules. It listed all the phones, tablet, laptop, etc. that had ever gone through the router...

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »

Vince,

- Glenn W9IQ

Hi Glenn...thanks for the indepth response, but wow...I haven't a clue as to how to do all of that?.....I barely got thru the setup on the port configuration on the Jetpack web site......what steps to I have to take to get in and make these adjustments?.....I also havn't a clue to get into a command prompt....I wouldn't know where to begin.....do I have to go into the jetpack website and log in for these alterations?....Or into the computer?.......this is making my hair hurt!........

V
K3NRX

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »

Vince,

What is the specific model number of your Jetpack? How many different devices connect to it?

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »

Vince,

What is the specific model number of your Jetpack? How many different devices connect to it?

- Glenn W9IQ

Model number is MHS815L....Only connected to my laptop.....

V
K3NRX

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »

Vince,

Your particular modem appears to have some very limited features. Unfortunately, I don't have direct experience with this modem.

In reading the manual for the device, it appears that the ports you opened for EchoLink are indeed outgoing ports (from your EchoLink software to the Internet). While the manual does not say so, it would be my estimation that the reply ports (coming from the Internet to your EchoLink software) must be in the same port range. There also appears to be no requirement, therefore, to match the application name to a particular PC (it is not port forwarding).

You may wish to try turning on the DMZ setting on your router. This will expose your PC to more Internet traffic and therefore increase the risk of being hacked but it may allow the EchoLink UDP port traffic to pass through. You will probably need to give it the IP address of your PC once you turn this on. The manual is lacking details on this setting. Because of the weakened security when the DMZ feature is turned on, I recommend turning off DMZ when you are not using EchoLink. And keep your Windows Firewall, Windows operating system, and your anti-virus software up to date (always a good practice in any case).

You may also wish to try turning on logging (About Jetpack -> Logs -> On) and then try using the EchoLink application to see if it leaves any helpful information in the log file in your modem. You can copy paste the log information to this thread if you don't know how to interpret it.

- Glenn W9IQ

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:43:33 PM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »

Nope...tried the DMZ option and it didn't work....attempts to connect on Echolink failed, including the router/firewall test....the IP address I typed in to DMZ was 192.168.1.10....I am not sure if that's even right.....oh well....it looks like echolink is not gonna work with this internet connection I have here.....it was worth a shot, but I suppose I am gonna have to us the app on my phone from now on....thanks for the help Glenn...

V
K3NRX

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »

Vince,

Just as a final check, you can find the IP address of your PC by looking under the "Connected Devices" page on your modem. Also take a look at your Windows Firewall settings while connected to your modem to make sure that it is allowing the EchoLink port traffic.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 05:07:56 AM »

Vince,

Just as a final check, you can find the IP address of your PC by looking under the "Connected Devices" page on your modem. Also take a look at your Windows Firewall settings while connected to your modem to make sure that it is allowing the EchoLink port traffic.

- Glenn W9IQ

Glenn, that number 192.168.1.10 that I originally entered into the DMZ field was in fact the actual correct IP address found in the connected devices page.....that being said and done, I did one more echolink's router/firewall test, and it's still not giving me a UDP connection for the 5198/5199 entries...& I also tried to connect to a few nodes, with no luck.....I am pretty much done with trying to figure this out, as I think we've exhausted all options.....It looks as if ...if I wish to use Echolink, I have to do it with my iPhone and the app, or I take the laptop to another location and hook up on another WiFi system.....hadn't realized that this was going to be a problem when i went with this jetpack.....oh well...thanks again for all of the help.......

V
K3NRX

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:11:52 AM by K3NRX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: