The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Originally licensed on ????  (Read 3329 times)
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »

Again and a bit more detail. These are the callbooks available through the archive.org project.
https://archive.org/details/callbook

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »

I've managed to keep my novice licence effective date 8-9-60. I would never remember when if I didn't have it. I was still in HS at the time.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 04:15:21 PM »

The Callbook sometimes had trouble getting up-to-date information (or the FCC's records were less than accurate).  For example, my original Arizona callsign, WA7ZQL, was listed in the Winter 1982 edition.  It had expired in 1979 after one license term.  The FCC had said that secondary station licenses could not be renewed when the current callsign assignment system took effect a year earlier.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 04:50:44 PM »

My apologies for posting a link to an imperfect reference....

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »

My apologies for posting a link to an imperfect reference....

No need at all to apologize.  The Callbook was all we had back in those days.  Putting all that data together four times a year was a big job, and they used the info they had. 

My guess is that the FCC wasn't very good at releasing licensing info for any service back then.  They certainly didn't have the capabilities they do now, not to mention that Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet.  Directories of broadcast stations (Broadcasting Magazine/Yearbook, the Vane Jones station guides, White's Radio Log, et al) had their share of errors as well.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: