The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to alleviate new washer interference on 17M?  (Read 1035 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »

New kenmore washer is in room adjacent to shack.  RF noise actually sounds like the washer when it is reciprocating the tub.  Easily identified and went away when I shut down the washer.  Is there a simple way to block the interference?  Station and devices are all grounded according to recommended practices.

thx in advance for suggestions.

KD0ZGW
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »

Usually this will involve more than one remedy, as just one may reduce but not eliminate it.

You can try ferrites on the power cord.  Plugging it into a different circuit might help.  But something that stands out here is you're picking up an emitter that's next to your equipment, not next to your antenna unless your antenna is in the laundry room.  That implies you have a common mode path into your reciever, so improving the isolation between your shack and your antenna might help too.  How exactly you do that will depend on what you're using for an antenna feed system.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »

Same problem here with GE washer. Ferrites on the power cord didn't help... but I'm in a condo and my antennas are in the attic. The solution for me was to not operate when the washer is on, or ask my wife to do the laundry at a more convenient (for me) time. Smiley
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:12:23 PM »

Can it be determined if the problem is radiated or coming in on the AC line?

What happens when you unhook your antenna and raise the RF gain control?

It seems to me that in any case the manufacturer of the washer bears some responsibility for this problem.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:29:15 PM »

It seems to me that in any case the manufacturer of the washer bears some responsibility for this problem.

You would think so but they are specifically excluded from complying with Part 15 regulations:

Part 15.103(d)  A digital device utilized exclusively in an appliance, e.g., microwave oven, dishwasher, clothes dryer, air conditioner (central or window), etc.

In any case, it is the operator/owner of the offending device that bears the responsibility to correct the RFI problem. The only redress the owner has against the manufacturer is a civil case:

15.103 ...The operator of the exempted device shall be required to stop operating the device upon a finding by the Commission or its representative that the device is causing harmful interference. Operation shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful interference has been corrected....

In some cases, the manufacturer has stepped up to the plate to correct the problem. A major line of home furnaces is one recent example.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »

Copy that Glenn.  Now is the time to ask if this is frequency related...across the spectrum, etc. (Since he says the problem is RF related on 17m alone this should throw it into the Part 15 area?)

If it's AC line related only then perhaps bypassing the AC line of the appliance with caps......(since ferrite cores are ineffective.) Or, is the interference on all the AC circuits? 
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »

I think you will need to get closer to the source, that is the motor drive circuit.   Once the genie is out of the bag, it will couple to much of the wiring, including the AC mains.  

Like modern furnace motors, these variable speed 3 ph motors have sharp edge waveforms driving them.  You want to get ferrite very close to the connector on the PCB, driving the motor power wires.  Preferably, a ferrite, multi turn, for each of the 3 drive phases.  You can likely ignore (not treat) any speed measurement wiring.  

Note that the drive circuit is a very low Z circuit.  I would tend to think bypas caps are not the correct path for a fix in this area.  You want to slow down the current waveform, using series Xl and R, just what the correct ferrite offers.  

Depending on the effectiveness of the ferrite at the right spots, you may STILL need a AC mains filter, most conveniently done with a  10A corcom metal box filter at mains inlet, or even easier, a Trip lite Iso bar power strip, with surge too.  I use a small iso bar on my clothes washer currently for surge control. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:22:04 AM by WB4SPT » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »

Then there is the warranty....which will be voided if any mods are made.

I still think it's time to rattle the manufacturer's cage. 
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »

>>>>>>THIS<<<<< is the type of issues that the ARRL should become a player in.

flame suit on
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »

Back to the issue.
Is the interference incoming via the antenna, power leads, or some other way?  Replace the antenna with a known good dummy load and see if you still hear a problem.  If not, it is via the antenna.  If yes, it is probably via the power line.  Direct radiation and via the ground connection is rarely the case.
And what band(s) are being affected?

-Mike.
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »

Everyone,thx for suggestions.  I'll test into a dummy load.  Antenna is over 150' away so I'm suspecting the A.C. line.   I can power the radio from battery for another check.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:53:39 AM »

The first place Id go is the manufacturers web page under "Support" and ask a question if our problem isnt listed.

Another option is to Google for others who have/had the problem.

Carl
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »

Lesson learned:  I've used phone calls and email to get problems resolved with less than optimum results.

I eventually found out that a well written letter using logic, attention to detail without writing a book, to one of the customer support SUPERVISORS or higher.  It will take a great deal longer but this gets the best results. 

Most companies like happy customers/clients; don't want any governmental agency involved with their business and for the most part like to resolve any problems they have with their product.

While most companies test their product the best they can, they can't cover ALL potential problems so when they find out that they indeed do have a problem, they will try to solve it.  Or not.

That's when you go to Plan B.
WE6C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »

I also have problems with a washing machine. So far no clothes washing during radio time. I'll make note on the type of noise, frequencies etc and report back here in a few days.
Bob
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »

To further insult us,  dishwashing and clothing washing cycles seemed to have doubled over the years.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: