The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to CQ a specific country or state or other using FT8?  (Read 2753 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »

One approach, for the rare station that is not open to wholesale calling, is to never call CQ. There are DX stations out there that operate this way, a kind of 'don't call me, I'll call you...if I want you'. Once they are spotted, they go QRT, because it becomes unattractive to them. Don't call them bad operators for not handling a pileup, it's just the way they enjoy the hobby.

Agreed.  There are lots of ways of looking at this.  And it is all just a game.  None of this is life and death...Smiley
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »

I myself am on FT8 on 20 and 40 meters mostly every afternoon and evening.
when I want a particular country or state, i just put like this..

CQ JA K6REA DM04
as looking for a japan station.
or
when looking for a particular state as in two weeks ago when i wanted to work them all, it took me 4 afternoons and evenings to work all 50 states..
CQ WY K6REA DM04
looking for Wyoming.

Most of the time, i always CQ dx,
CQ DX K6REA DMO4
which a lot of the times, most hams do not pay attention to or they do not know what the letters DX mean in a call, because half of
what i get back are locals in the usa, but, i do not bitch...i just answer the call.

I like FT8 for trying to get a lot of contacts, but, it is not a way to get cozy online with anyone...i consider it quite robotic and impersonal...
but, it really gets results for distance and areas of the globe.
I have talked to over 40 countries with it in the last 4 weeks.
it is a productive type of communications.

By the way, in case anyone needs help getting setup on FT8, i can help in that I have and use the following setup.
I use a Yaesu FTDX-1200 with the Yaesu SCU-17 usb interface.
I usually run between 40 and 60 watts. They say this is too high, but that is what i need to get all the dx stations.
They are for the most part a signal strength of -11 to -20 on FT8.  Once in awhile the Japans and Chinas come in at
a signal of +2 to -8, which is pretty strong.

Anyway, I run a 4 elelment yagi on 20 meters and a G5RV on 40 meters.
The yagi is about 28' above the ground and the G5RV about 25' above the ground.

Hope this helps someone.

Kevin Rea
K6REA
Lancaster, Calif.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:41:37 PM by K6REA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: