The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallest 1.2 Gig mobile coax?  (Read 8456 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2000, 09:46:37 PM »

Ive looked at the loss charts and it appears the smaller size families of coax (rg-58, etc) are unsuitable for 800 Mhz and up (1.2 Gig) even in the car. Sure I can use 9913 or LMR 400, but is that larger size really necessary in the car at those freqs?  Any recommendations on smaller size coax in the car for these freqs (800M to 1.2G)(appx 15')?

KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2000, 06:12:03 PM »

If you are really looking for low-loss, you should use Andrews FSJ1-50 or equivalent.  Larsen and Austin Antenna sell some good 58-size cables, too.  Semi-rigid line, such as used for microwave circuit interconnects, is not a good substitute in my experience.

gl 73 Steve KZ1X/4
K2UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2000, 12:34:07 PM »

Andrew FSJ1-50 is indeed the best for this service. It's also called quarter-inch Superflex. It crushes relatively easily, unlike soid-PE-dielectric cables, so be a little careful mounting it in a mobile installation. It costs about $1 per foot, and the connectors are about $11 each for Andrew male N connectors. I bought some from a two-way shop, but it can be had from most any Andrew dealer. The book says 6.77 dB per 100 feet at 1250 MHz. If you have a 20-foot run, that's only 1.4 dB. I use it all the way up through 10 GHz in my rover station.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: