The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladder Lines  (Read 8058 times)
K8CMI

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2000, 10:00:03 AM »

I am instaling a G5RV on a metal windmill tower next weekend.  How far do I have to keep the ladder line from the tower?  Has anyone come up with a good way of standing off the ladder line?

Thanks, 73's

Jerry Steele  K8CMI
K6XR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2000, 12:56:50 PM »

use regular tv twin lead stand off insulators available from radio shack. it will keep the ladder line about 1 ft from the metal.  the g5rv will then work nicely.

KC5MEI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2000, 01:52:22 PM »

Usually PVC pipe makes good stand offs, it's cheap and easy to machine, and comes with a variety of
connectors and flanges that can be used to attach it to the tower. However, before you begin a major construction project, test the PVC to make sure that it is RF neutral. Heat a chunk in the microwave for a minute or so. If it stays cool it is RF neutral, if it heats up try a different brand or plastic mix.
KF4MFQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2000, 03:30:58 PM »

The literature I use recommends a minimum standoff from metal objects of 3 times the width of the ladder line.  Because of the "field cancelling" nature of balanced line, not much of the field extends beyond this distance.  I'v had good luck with a 4" separation, using 450 ohm ladder line (approx 1" wide)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: